cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 731 of 824

Re: Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

The problem sounds like it’s your end then James. There is a thread on Dumas forum where latency is an issue and it’s not solved it.

ive run the XR500 for a year and while it has some interesting gaming settings it has a few bugs that need fixing and we are waiting for the new milestone to appear but unsure what devices will be first to receive it.dont forget bufferbloat has an issue or too, it sticks or picks up the wrong equipment or even fails to detect devices so you have to watch it all the time or it impacts the whole network.

trouble with latency and these issues are there are some who do have an issue, others who have faults and some who need to control their devices as the problem is their end.  It’s clear that if it’s BT side then the router will not solve the issue as seen on Dumas forum. 
many routers have QoS that would help, Duma is aimed very much at the gaming side. If this solved your issue I would say it was your side rather than BT.

just remember this router is not good on some basic features like IPv6 which is known to create issue.

0 Ratings
James3793
Aspiring Contributor
Message 732 of 824

I can't rule that out but I've had engineers come and look at my set up, I've changed my router twice and also my modem.

BT engineers have also visited and changed my sockets and even some of the line coming into my house. This has been going on for months.

I only have SkyQ hardwired and a few games consoles. As soon as Netflix, Spotify, Amazon Prime or AppleTV stream through a hardwired device or even wirelessly through a smartphone, the ping goes nuts.

Hopefully, it helps a few people with the issue, it certainly solved it for me.

Stu_H
Contributor
Message 733 of 824

There is no doubt QoS helps if you suffer congestion.The router works fine all be it a bit dated now with its 32bit code and hardware. Don’t forget the router is 5 years old with a few adjustments.

if you have any problems or question flip on to netdumas forum where support is good from the devs and come and say hello to us.

if you run ping plotter and stream Netflix at the same time do you see latency issues? This will test your connection. 

0 Ratings
James3793
Aspiring Contributor
Message 734 of 824

I actually used Netmeter.co.uk. The attached was pretty typical when streaming although I saw the spikes go upwards of 200 at times.

I tested this while streaming through SkyQ, My smart TV (we dont usually have this connected) our iphones and ipad and we did this both wired and wirelessly. As soon as we were not steaming, consistent 35ish ping with no spikes.

When I set tracert results to BT they said they couldnt support me unless the spikes were over 150ms.

unnamed.jpg

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 735 of 824

Shame it’s not ping plotter, is that the results now I take it and if so have you tried lowering bufferbloat to 70 then work downwards?

for best results it needs to be wired connection

0 Ratings
James3793
Aspiring Contributor
Message 736 of 824

Yes, I used Netmeter wired as well and got the same results. 

When I got the new router, anti-buffer bloat was turned off by default, I switched it on and also lowered the setting to 70% as a starting point which solved the issue. I have actually upped it to 75% and left it at that.

To be completely transparent, I didn't even know the technology existed, I was trying to narrow down the issue by upgrading my router. The Nighthawk did not solve the issue out of the box, I had to set anti-buffer bloat to 'always on'

dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 737 of 824

The buffer bloat option on the Nighthawk I think you'll find is just marketing junk for simply reserving bandwidth, most reasonable routers with QoS can do this, my Draytek and Billion routers can.

As what's already been stated many 50's of posts ago you can reduce the effects of this problem by limiting bandwidth of the applications causing the lag using whatever method you like. It may make gaming possible, you may not see massive game stutters any more but you'll likely find you're still getting some amount of ping spiking happening, you need to carefully monitor your ping using a utility that graphs your ping over a period of time, such as ping logger (google for it)

If you play games that require fast reactions and good shot registration such as typical FPS games  you probably won't be satisfied with this...

My current ISP has no ping spikes,  no jitter, it has no 'fixes', I don't reserve any bandwidth, downloading pushes the ping up (but no spikes) as you'd expect but other than that my ping is solid.

Stu_H
Contributor
Message 738 of 824

There should be a difference between wired and wireless which is why wired is really the only way to test connections.

heres a quick sample of mine wired streaming Prime from just after 12.41 to 12.44 with no QoS on. I don’t suffer the big old latency others do, I’ve streamed from other devices and services but not Netflix and I’ve other equipment connected too in this brief test  hence the very small spikes and the larger ones is me pushing the connection so not a concern. 
no QoS what so ever is used as this on the RAX120. 83FF48C5-7012-4740-9089-507B48C11550.jpegPing plotter

if you can try to use ping plotter as it’s the only way Duma recommends to test your connection. That way you can fine tune. I bet you get different results. 

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 739 of 824

Have any of you tried twitch making sure you're viewing at least a  1080p @ 60fps stream ? I found twitch to be one of the worst causes of ping spikes, even on a 'fixed' BT connection.

@Stu_H  you're not showing the left hand ms scale, so it's hard to judge.

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 740 of 824

I’ve tried it all. If I saturate the connection I will see huge latency as I don’t have the best connection speeds which is dead easy to do. As I’m the only user it’s not a great concern.

my XR500 as you say the buffer is just allocation Actually performed worse than the router I’ve got installed. 
what Duma has is geo filtering which is handy but I was not impressed with the hardware side of it and the rather poor Wi-fi coverage where I need extenders to cover the property which is not massive by any means.

I would love to try the QoS out but it’s upload only on the RAX120 and they need to work on as it’s still early days for the router. Performance wise it’s so far a very good performer and stable with the latest firmware.

the MS scale Key is shown at the top left via colour code. 

0 Ratings