Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 761 of 806

Re: Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

@harryb29 

Would you mind doing a ping test so I / others can see ? so a DOS command window and  'ping 185.60.112.157 -t', allow it to run for perhaps 1 minute and then control-c. Just post the last few lines that show minimum, average and max times.

0 Ratings
FinnKaiden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 762 of 806

Seriously how do I speak to a MOD about a fix for this. If this isn't sorted within a week I'm moving to Sky. Every 5-10 seconds ping goes from a respectable 8-12ms up to 300+ for a second then back down. I've even had the occasional spike to over 1500 when testing. I have screen shots to prove so if BT say its not an issue I'll be making YouTube videos and tweeting it out. I guarantee this is happening for to WAY more people who don't even realise it as without gaming it'd be hard to notice.  Completely unacceptable. 

0 Ratings
FinnKaiden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 763 of 806

Re: Ping Spikes/Lag When Gaming + Netflix is on BT TV Box

I'm having same issues, ping spikes every 5-10 seconds are up over 300 and sometimes to over 1500 when streaming video (Netflix, YouTube, Prime eg) I need a fix or I 'll have no option but to switch ISP. Please help
0 Ratings
Message 764 of 806

Hi @FinnKaiden,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry you're seeing the same issue. Can you post the screen grabs you mentioned? Also just confirm how you're connected?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
FinnKaiden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 765 of 806

0 Ratings
Solo21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 766 of 806

Spoiler
Its happening to me as we speak and im on FTTP ultrafast!!
0 Ratings
FinnKaiden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 767 of 806

Well no reply obviously means they don't care. Moving to Sky thanks BT I'd love to say its been good but it really hasn't.

0 Ratings
Message 768 of 806

@FinnKaiden I'm so sorry we missed your reply on Wednesday evening. The mod team will be happy to look into this for you if you send over your details, I'll send you a private message in a moment so you can get in touch.

@Solo21 I'm sorry to see you're experiencing issues with your ping, as you have FTTP you'll need to give the fibre broadband faults team a call on 0800 800 150 and they'll get this looked into for you.

0 Ratings
He4DHuNt3r
Regular
Message 769 of 806

Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

This issue is also happening with EE & Plusnet & It's even affecting people with FTTP. 

BT's network has some sort of QoS enabled to give video/streaming content priority over everything else.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/customers-of-uk-isp-bt-see-multiplayer-lag-spikes-duri...

They've know about this issue for over a year & still haven't sorted it out.

Your ping or latency shouldn't spike above your base ping unless your connections bandwidth is been saturated.... Even with my own QoS setup on my Netgear XR500 router, which limit's maximum bandwidth used by each device & gives priority to gaming packets, my ping still goes into the 100's+ whenever someone in my home watches any kind of streaming content.

0 Ratings
john9411
Contributor
Message 770 of 806

@He4DHuNt3r 

I think that this has been mentioned in forum before.

It would explain why other ISPs may not have same problem and would suggest, perhaps logically for BT, that as BT TV is streamed over the net they would want to give it priority. I presume that BT cannot, or have not yet found a way, to prioritise BT TV alone so Netflx etc. are also affected.

It would also explain why changing ISP normally solves the problem.

Only problem I can see is that some time ago it was rumoured that Sky TV was considering moving away from satellite to streaming (probably cheaper so typical Sky!!!). This being the case then one would assume that Sky would also adopt a priority system so moving to Sky may only be a short term solution.

If the theory is correct it would help if BT would admit it and say what, if anything, they are doing about it.

Regrettably, as mentioned somewhere else, this does not appear to be something that Ofcom can get involved in as Ts & Cs probably cover prioritisation. Maybe if enough people complained they may get involved1

0 Ratings