Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 861 of 1,014

Re: Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

Hi @Burnsy1,

Welcome back to the Community.

Can you post screenshots from Ping plotter showing your connection with just a game running and a second showing a game and a Netflix stream?

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Burnsy1
Beginner
Message 862 of 1,014

I hadn't been playing any online games for about over a week due to the lag but when I went on to use ping plotter it seems to be fixed, so whatever BT has done recently must have worked.

Thanks for the reply 

DavidM
Message 863 of 1,014

Thanks for letting us know it's sorted @Burnsy1.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Tomtyler951
Beginner
Message 864 of 1,014

Hi,

No streaming my ping is usually between 20-40. 

Yesterday when people were streaming i wqs fluctuating over 300 ping at times.

Cheers

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 865 of 1,014

Hi @Tomtyler951 and thanks for posting.

Can you post screenshots from Ping plotter showing your connection with just a game running and a second showing a game and a Netflix stream?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
george1976
Contributor
Message 866 of 1,014

What a joke this has been for me.

Had my speed capped at 40Mb/s because of the errors I was told, OK, I'll take that for the sake of stability.

I was also told that streaming was not the cause of my issues........................................................................................

Guess what? Yesterday my son said: I have 300ms lag! I was: that's impossible mate, they've fixed it..............................

He was right, ping plotter showing 200-300ms lag while my wife and I were watching a lousy 480p stream over the internet.

Stopped that 480p!!! stream and bang, latency back under 10ms.

Online gaming takes what? 1Mb/s?

480p stream again, another 1Mb/s?

I would like that 40Mb/s cap removed please, it made no difference whatsoever.

I won't post any other ping plotter graphs, I had enough of it, don't ask please moderators.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 867 of 1,014

@george1976 

BT is having to make hardware changes to fix the ping spike issue, this was due to take up to around June to get finished (as a rough guess from BT) but with the virus I can bet it'll be many more months for this work to be completed. So you could be having this problem for many more months and that's on the assumption the new fix does actually work. 

I've yet to see anyone confirm it has worked although I suspect a lot of people on this thread have been given the interim fix so perhaps they may not see any major difference. Having said that I would hope / assume the fix will work therefore it's just a waiting game.

Personally if I was in you situation I'd change ISP, IDNet if you wanted to get back to BT quickly ish, they have a 1 month contract, Leetline if you want the best ISP for gaming /  quality connection including a maxed out speed based on what connection you have. Obviously if you've got connection issues to the cabinet then that might take time to sort out, I would get a 3rd party modem / router though so you can check stats / make some adjustments yourself. I can recommend Draytek having tried several other models, their gear is fast and reliable.

0 Ratings
James3793
Contributor
Message 868 of 1,014

@Moderator Team.

I hope you are all doing well? 

I have some questions if you wouldn't mind helping me out.

1. Do you have an update on the fix rollout given everything thats happening right now?
  2. Last year I worked with Neil on your team to try and solve my issue, he was really helpful but we could not resolve the issue. Neil offered to talk to someone about terminating my contract early but we did not proceed as at the time I purchased a new Netgear XR300 which seemed to solved the issue with its anti-buffer bloat technology. Recently, that stopped having any effect so I am back to square one with my BT Hub. I would like to explore the option of terminating my contract again. 
  3. For the last two weeks I have been having constant drop outs at home. I spoke to BT and they said its a known problem in my area and its being worked on. I tried to explain the issue outlined in this thread but she said they have no insight into issues raised on these forums so it would not contribute to the termination of my contract. She also said that the 8 engineer visits I had last year would also not count as we are in a new year.

My biggest issue right now is how my contract has been handled.

Last year, I started seeing huge drops in my expected speed, sometimes down to 1meg from my expected 30meg. I would call BT who would run a test which would determine an engineer needed to visit my house. Sure enough, an engineer would visit and not really find the cause of the issue. However, they would reset my line and the speed would shoot back up. This would last around 2 to 4 week and I would be back to square one. Another engineer would come out, try something else out and then reset my line. I had 8 engineers visit me in total. 

I had a new socket fitted on one visit, a new line fitted from the pole on another visit and even got told the problem was at the exchange.

On one visit I pointed out to the engineer that some plastic tarpooling had blown onto the telephone pole across the street and could that cause the issue? he said "no, although I should probably go up and take that off... I cant do it now though"

The next engineer who visited saw the tarpooling and said "that's going to be the issue!" he then went up and took it down.

3 of the engineers suggested that the issue could be down to my line and how far I was from the exchange. The Super Fast Fibre speed I had upgraded too  the year before was just not suitable for my particular circumstances. (I did not have these issues until I upgraded so this made sense) They suggested if I downgraded, it could fix the issue but they said this very much 'off the record'

I spoke to BT who said this theory was nonsense. I managed to downgrade but they said even if it fixed the issue, downgrading would mean a new contract. I reluctantly agreed.

Sure enough, the speed issues I had been experiencing all year and warranted 8 engineer visits disappeared completely.

Now this ping issue has come to light, I'm stuck in a long contract and being told that none of the hassle I have been through for the last 16 months matters if I want to leave.

The Moderator team have been great and I know there is only so much you can do but this has been an exhausting experience and i'm just tired of trying to explain any of this to customer services over and over again.

Can you help me terminate my contract? 

0 Ratings
Burkazoid
Beginner
Message 869 of 1,014

Hi,

I posted about this last week and it’s still happening. Quite frankly, it’s pathetic that this is a known issue and customers have to “request” that you fix it.

anyway, here’s my graph with the game running without Netflix running at the same time:

F874112B-7A6C-4B9C-A115-379DBA5C0DE2.jpeg

And while Netflix is running:

D86348D9-4C2E-4D67-A6FC-BAAA670239A7.jpeg

Please can I have the fix, because I’m so fed up with having my internet crippled because more than one person lives at my house.

PaddyB
Message 870 of 1,014

Hi @Burkazoid,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry you're still seeing latency spikes while gaming and streaming at the same time. Thank you for posting those ping plotters. I'd like to take a look at your connection and run a few checks on your line. 

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact me.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

We are really busy at the moment so it will be a few days before we'll get back to you.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings