cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 81 of 358

Re: Latency spikes while streaming video content - Unusable for gaming.

It was worth checking, as noise will cause re-transmissions which would affect latency.

I assume you are also seeing this on Ethernet connected devices?

Which BT home hub are you using?

0 Ratings
PeterR
Aspiring Contributor
Message 82 of 358

I have been doing the BT Wholesale test on a PC connected by ethernet.  I have swapped ethernet cables and ports to elilminate these as potential issues.  I am using a BT HH5.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 83 of 358

I would not rely too much on the BT Wholesale performance tester results, it best to run a manual test by pinging a website, like the BBC.

The HH5 is not really the best home hub to use on ADSL, the HH4 is better as it has a narrower bandwidth.

0 Ratings
PeterR
Aspiring Contributor
Message 84 of 358

I find it strange that BT Wholesale would provide a testing mechanism that produces erroneous results especially results that suggest that their service is poor!

As for HH4 being better that HH5 for ADSL - if this is the case why did BT provided me with a HH5 when I signed for another 12 months?

OOKLA suggests that I have latency of about 25ms!!!!!!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 85 of 358

There are known issues with the results that the BT Wholesale tester gives.

OOKLA results seem to be about correct for your ADSL connection.

Try ping bbc.co.uk

0 Ratings
ozzler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 86 of 358

Peter I'm not sure you're issue is related to this thread as it sounds like you have latency issues even when nothing is on the line.

@Keith_Beddoe You didn't answer when I asked if you work for BT or not 🙂 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 87 of 358

@ozzler wrote:

Peter I'm not sure you're issue is related to this thread as it sounds like you have latency issues even when nothing is on the line.

@Keith_Beddoe You didn't answer when I asked if you work for BT or not 🙂 

No, I am just a customer. The only BT Employees are the moderators.

0 Ratings
ozzler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 88 of 358

Ah was just curious as you've been very helpful but seem to refuse to acknowledge the idea that it may actually be BT's fault for this latency issue.

0 Ratings
PeterR
Aspiring Contributor
Message 89 of 358

Sorry if my post is incorrectly labelled.

I have done a series of ping tests  and my pings go from an average of 25ms with nothing running to >85ms whilst running BBC iplayer.  I have seen pings as high as 400ms

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 90 of 358

@ozzler wrote:

Ah was just curious as you've been very helpful but seem to refuse to acknowledge the idea that it may actually be BT's fault for this latency issue.

No, I would suspect that the issue is affecting VDSL connection due to buffering taking place on the upstream backhaul path from the cabinet to the core network.

This is made worse by some streaming applications which are uploading more data than is needed, to maintain the connection. This can be mitigated to some extent, on your own local network, by restricting these applications.

I suspect that the reason this has got worse recently, is due to the rapid uptake of services like Netflix which are delivered using unicast, unlike the BT YouView subscription channels which are delivered over multicast, and do not upload anything.

I cannot see this situation improving, as the priority for BT, and other ISPs, is to deliver Value Added Services, as there is very little money to be made from providing a basic broadband service, hence the push for people to upgrade to a faster connection, so that these extra services can be promoted.

Many years ago, BT did marked their own gaming service, but the takeup was poor.

All I can suggest is that is people want a low latency, then they need to avoid concurrent running of streaming unicast services, or get a separate connection just for gaming.

0 Ratings