cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dan44762000
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Recommend me a new Router please

Ok so the general consensus amongst people i have asked is the Home Hub is a pile of garbage,so i want to buy myself a better router,one with more functions and generally better

So which one should i get , i would prefer as little haslte as possible setting it up to work with BT 

I,m on infinity 2 and do watch Bt Sport through the set top box , so it would need to work with that also 

Many thanks 

Daniel 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Recommend me a new Router please

Watching this thread. I'm so fed up with the orange (looks orange to me) light coming on and wails of "who's turned the wifi off " from the family with "smart" hub 6 in the last 3 months. Husband can't use wifi calling for work when he's working at home anymore and he's going to,have to go back to working in Isle of Man as it's unsustainable when he keeps getting cut off. Was great for about 6 months but has been awful since January. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Only you can decide what features and functionality are important to you, have a look at the specs and decide. Just ensure it is a VDSL modem/router if you want a one box solution. Virtually all of them will have a quick setup option that will require only user name bthomehub@btbroadband.com and a password of BT to be entered when prompted in order to set it up.

Its like asking somebody to recommend a car.

0 Ratings
dan44762000
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the reply and password/username info , i could disagree more about comparing asking for a recommendation of a router to that of a car though, you are being very pedantic about it .

A simple question about some router recommendations does not remotely compare to that of asking which car to get.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

@dan44762000 wrote:
Thanks for the reply and password/username info , i could disagree more about comparing asking for a recommendation of a router to that of a car though, you are being very pedantic about it .

A simple question about some router recommendations does not remotely compare to that of asking which car to get.

sorry I disagree  you need to decide what you want from your new router/modem  do you want dual band, do you want QOS, do you want to spend £35 or £200 etc

many use the cheap tplink 9970 on vdsl and they say it works well others prefer more facilities and buy dearer models

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Of course it does,  I have no idea of your requirements and everybody will have their favourite car/router. If you stick to the well known brands they are all pretty much the same. The main cause of price variation is wifi speed. If you have no need of a high speed wifi LAN, the governing speed of your internet connection will be your broadband. I could recommend the TP Link VR600 or VR900 but if you only require a very basic device, the TP Link TD-W9970 would suffice.

Technonerd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Agreed with the recommendations above. Or, you could go with one of the Billion range, especially if you want a router with a good BDCM chipset and line monitoring capabilities.

0 Ratings
alistair94
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Speaking from experience, after years of frustration with various BT Homehubs including several replacement HH6, I bought a TP Link Archer VR900. Since then I haven't had a single issue, no disconnections, fast wifi, easy to set up extenders, Sky + , Amazon Echos and a network drive. Everything has worked seamlessly.

0 Ratings
Technonerd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Yeah, the TP Link's have great WiFi, just a shame that they have very little line stats.
0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

I agree with the TP-Link reccomendations. Have had a V1 version of the Archer VR900 for some time now and it has been rock solid with excellent wifi to numerous gadgets connected. Just remember to keep your BT Hub as BT wont help you with a non BT Hub connected if you get line problems.