Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tintac
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Recommend third party hub to use with bt unlimited faster Broadband

Go to solution

Because I live in the sticks The fastest broadband I can get is unlimited faster up to 7Mbps usually 5Mbps. Hub5 is ok but trying to increase Wifi and been told that if I wait until a June 17 and I go out of contract I might be eligible for a free smart hub. I assume that this hub can only be used with bt and if I purchase one now and change isp in June it will end up in the bin. Can anyone recommend a good future proof third party router? Thanks

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Recommend third party hub to use with bt unlimited faster Broadband

Go to solution

Forget about the smart hub, it will not help.

There are a number of existing threads discussing alternatives.

Like https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Best-3rd-party-router/m-p/1698700#M133234

Liam_
Expert
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Hi,

Getting a router or modem/router combo is not quite as straight forward as it should be.

Some do not support IPv6 properly.  Netgear and Linksys are to be avoided for this reason.  Neither of these two manufacturers deigned to reply to my query, Netgear have apparently told a forum member that they have no intention of making their routers compliant, obviously they care nothing for their customers.  Ipv6 may not be important to you at the moment but it will be later on.

Routers we know of that support Ipv6 in the correct manner are  Fritzbox, Ubiquiti, Asus (presumably all the current newer models), Billion will presumably work fine, Plusnet seem to have used them in their Ipv6 trials.  I haven't got round to testing the Billion I have yet.

TP-Link are apparently working on firmware fixes for IPv6.  So if you fancy one of them then wait for the firmware to come out and then check how it works.  Forum members running TP-Link routers will no doubt post results of the fix when it eventually arrives.

So out of the four (or 5) makes what you then need to decide is whether the router will have support for the things you use, like IPTV etc.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

My Asus DSL-AC68U does a good job & seems to work fine with IPv6, so future proof in that respect.

0 Ratings
tintac
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Will look into your recommendation. Have just been viewing the reviews and comments on the smart hub and although I could purchase it for £69 from bt some of the reviews are a bit off putting .

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Do not consider the BT Smarthub. At £69 it is £69 to expensive. Have a look through this forum for the problems that people are having with it.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

If you want putting off the Hub 6 do a search on this forum.

I know people don't come here to say all's well, but there are so many negative posts and comments. For my part, I've got two Hub 6 and don't have either of them connected to my broadband.

Regards

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

> "I know people don't come here to say all's well"

Miracles do sometimes happen: I like to think of my thread "BT IPv6 users about to hit 1 million" as a positive one, even celebratory. Too many people still think of IPv6 as something hypothetical or not relevant to them if they aren't aware of its exponential upward growth curve, so some gentle informational advocacy can help.

There are times for using the stick and times when the carrot is the best way forward. For now, IPv6 is in the realm of carrots. 😛

And once the worst HH6 faults are fixed, I'm sure there will be many relieved and encouraging posts about it.

0 Ratings
BiggMatt187
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Smart hubs are rubbish... totally unfit for purpose..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

And in further news, bears **** in the woods.

0 Ratings