Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bungaroosh
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Recommended wired router to work with Openreach modem

Hello,

I'm a little unclear about what I might need so I'll try and spell out things as clearly as possible.

I have Infinity 2 (~64Mbps down/19Mbps up). I have a Home Hub 3 and I'm in need of some more ethernet ports. I have ordered a splitter (TP-LINK TL-SG1005D) but as the BT Home Hub is ageing somewhat (and every so often the speed goes to less than half, requiring reboots), I thought maybe I could replace it with a new wired router (if router is the correct term in this case). I don't want wifi as it sits less than a metre from my desk and in any case I have the wifi and BTFON switched off on the existing Hub 3. The wifi comes from a separate router that is plugged in to the BT Hub 3 and which lives in a cupboard intentionally distant from where anybody sits or sleeps or lingers for any length of time.

Some questions:

Would the TP-LINK TL-SG1005D splitter be able to work directly with the Openreach modem? (I have read something about PPPoE being required -- is this to do with managed/unmanaged?).

With the PPPoE thing, does each device that connects to the "router" have to be individually configured? Or can the router be set up via a control panel and then it works for everything that connects to it?

If the TP-LINK splitter can't work directly with the Openreach modem, I'd appreciate advice on what I would need. Ideally an 8-port device that either works with the Openreach modem, or a router/modem that can connect straight to the RJ11 socket. Or if it's all too much faff and/or expense, I could probably live with the Hub 3 and the four extra ports that the TP-LINK splitter that's on its way through the post.

I'd be very glad of any advice and clarification of the above though!

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Recommended wired router to work with Openreach modem

That device is just an Ethernet switch and can't be used directly with the modem, you still need a router. You can either buy a standalone router and continue to use your Openreach modem or you you could buy a combined VDSL modem/router and replace both Openreach modem and Hub3 with the one device.

Unless spending  a great deal of money on a router, any device you buy will only have 4 ethernet ports and will be cheaper to use in conjunction with the TP Link Ethernet switch to provide your extra ports.

If you don't require wifi, the TP Link TD-9970 VDSL modem router would suit your needs perfectly and is only about £35/40 from the usual sources. This device does have single band wifi but it can be turned off. Any router you buy will have wifi capability and it is usually the speed of the wifi which governs price, hence any cheap router will suffice for your needs.

PPPoE is the protocol a router uses to connect to the BT network and is part and parcel of the router/Hub3.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
West
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

I also have a Home Hub 3 and reluctant to change it under the old saying if it aint broke why fix it.

I simply used the Gig port on the Home hub3 and wired it to a Netgear ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit Switch.

This will leave 7 free ports on the switch for your printers etc.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

@Bungarooshwrote:

Hello,

I'm a little unclear about what I might need so I'll try and spell out things as clearly as possible.

I have Infinity 2 (~64Mbps down/19Mbps up). I have a Home Hub 3 and I'm in need of some more ethernet ports. I have ordered a splitter (TP-LINK TL-SG1005D) but as the BT Home Hub is ageing somewhat (and every so often the speed goes to less than half, requiring reboots), I thought maybe I could replace it with a new wired router (if router is the correct term in this case). I don't want wifi as it sits less than a metre from my desk and in any case I have the wifi and BTFON switched off on the existing Hub 3. The wifi comes from a separate router that is plugged in to the BT Hub 3 and which lives in a cupboard intentionally distant from where anybody sits or sleeps or lingers for any length of time.

Some questions:

Would the TP-LINK TL-SG1005D splitter be able to work directly with the Openreach modem? (I have read something about PPPoE being required -- is this to do with managed/unmanaged?).

With the PPPoE thing, does each device that connects to the "router" have to be individually configured? Or can the router be set up via a control panel and then it works for everything that connects to it?

If the TP-LINK splitter can't work directly with the Openreach modem, I'd appreciate advice on what I would need. Ideally an 8-port device that either works with the Openreach modem, or a router/modem that can connect straight to the RJ11 socket. Or if it's all too much faff and/or expense, I could probably live with the Hub 3 and the four extra ports that the TP-LINK splitter that's on its way through the post.

I'd be very glad of any advice and clarification of the above though!

Many thanks in advance.

Hi @Bungaroosh   How about replacing your modem/HH3 with a BT Smart Hub (HH6). It should only cost you about £10 from a well known auction site. It has four gigabyte Ethernet ports which when you can connect your unmanaged switch will give you 7 free ports. I recommend not buying a managed switch unless you have a need to manage the switch in a complicated network. 99.99% of Home users that need a switch buy an unmanaged switch which works better with domestic devices. 

0 Ratings
Bungaroosh
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Many thanks for the advice -- very helpful and it's cleared up a few bits of confusion I had!

I've received the TP-LINK TL-SG1005D switch and it's working fine.

I concur with the "if it ain't broke" adage ... although I'm wondering whether I could squeeze any extra speed out of my line with a new router/modem instead of my 7+ year set-up (I count myself lucky that I've had barely any problems with hardware or BT service in that time) ...

BT speeds.pngThe speed varies between the different speed checkers but I get an absolute maximum of 64. I wonder if a new combined router modem would do anything? (I've seen some bargain DrayTek Vigor 130s on ebay) ...

----

BT have actually given just sent me a new BT Smart Hub (HH6), but despite disabling the wifi, it still belts out BTFON. That's not something that I can allow as the hub is less than a metre away from my head while at the desk my computer is on, and it affects me badly. I was able to disable this on the HH3 without disabling access to BT Wifi when out and about. (I understand the principle of share-and-share-alike, and that that is the basis of BTFON; if I were able to wire up the BT Hub to the distant cupboard mentioned in the first post to act as the wireless transmitter, I would, but it's not practical given the multiple ethernet cables already laid out around the place, and the position of phone sockets etc.). So I've gone back to the HH3 + Openreach modem, and I'll give the HH6 to my sister as she and her family complain of poor wifi in their house.

0 Ratings