Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
colliedug
Message 1 of 7

Red WAN port

Go to solution

Morning All,

I've got a BT Hub 4.

I have alrady got an Internet radio and a Humax connected. I'm wanting to ditch the wireless connection and connect using ethernet to my PC, my wife's laptop and another Internet radio. Can I use the red WAN port?

If not how do I manage to connect everything by ethernet?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Red WAN port

Go to solution

No you cannot use the WAN port.

To give yourself more ports you need an Ethernet switch like this.

http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/bt-connected-home/switches/

If you look on the web, you may find slightly cheaper ones which may work with the home hub.

0 Ratings
rarmitage124
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
WAN is what you use to conncect to the internet if you have fttp.

You will need to buy something like a TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch with Steel Case TL-SG108. There are different types available for how many ethernet ports you need.

Hope this helps:)

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

the red WAN port is normally used FTTC when you use a separate modem and router - modem connects to WAN port

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
colliedug
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for your prompt reply Keith.

Looking at the internet switch link you gave, the diagram seems to imply that the existing ports on the hub are redundant - only the ports on the switch are available - is this correct?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

if you connect a switch to one of ethernet ports on hub the others are still available for use

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

if you connect a switch to one of ethernet ports on hub the others are still available for use

Confirmed by me as well.