Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
silverspeed
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Remote Access Issues

Go to solution

For over two years I could access my home cctv remotely via an Apollo App,  but two weeks ago I lost connection. I can still see the cameras through the internal wi-fi network but not externally. My cctv guy has now systematically replaced every bit of kit - DVR - Router etc but still no remote access. A telecoms guy checked my Router and said the ports are not visible externally even though they are all open. A open port checker could not see them either. All firewalls etc have been checked and still nothing. BT have advised there are no issues with my connection but something changed two weeks ago!! Appreciate the connection is a dynamic IP but I have used a DYNDNS address to overcome this issue as fixed IPs are not available. BT assure me that they will not and have not closed the ports at the exchange but somethings not right....HELP !! Could it be an exchange issue?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Remote Access Issues

Go to solution

This may be the reason.

IP address translation/sharing

0 Ratings
silverspeed
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Re: Remote Access Issues

Go to solution

Thank you very much for your help - this resolved my issues. The most disappinting thing is I spoke to BT 4 times about the issue and nothing was said about this change just kept telling me it must be a hardware issue. It has cost me over 8 man hours for a CCTV to try and sort the problem. Very disappointed with BT support - but is not the first time!

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

Re: Remote Access Issues - Impact of opting out of Shared IP Address

Go to solution

@Rumplestiltskin wrote:

PREAMBLE

After an attempted break-in I invested in a wireless CCTV camera which allows remote viewing.   The camera is up and running and connected wirelessly (used port forwarding and a dynamic IP service - easy peasy).  However, I found it impossible to register the camera with the web-site where (a) the camera automatically uploads and stores footage when it detects movement or noise and (b) allows me remote access to the images from anywhere e.g. my work terminal.   The Broadband Help Desk are unable to help as this is not the kind of query they are familiar with.  (I am still waiting on tech support to respond).   Researching through the forums, I found links which have led me to "opting out of Sharing IP adresses."   On restarting my Home Hub3, I found I was immediately able to register with the camera's web page.

QUESTION

By opting out of shared IP addressing, have I compromised my Internet Security systems in any way?

This is a Solved thread. I suggest you raise your query as a new thread to have a better chance at getting an answer.

0 Ratings