cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsquared
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Remote Desktop Connection keeps disconnecting

I have BT Hub 3 (recently upgraded to Broadband Unlimited at the end of Jan 2015).

Up until recently I was able to Remote Desktop into my work computer (via VPN tunnel) with no problems at all.

Around March 6th, I began to experience problems with the Remote Desktop Connect (RDP), in that it now makes an initial connection and then disconnects (typically within a few seconds, occasionally after a couple of minutes).

It will then cycle through a number of reconnection attempts, all with the same result, before it finally drops altogether with the message:

'The Remote Desktop Services Session has ended. Connection to the remote computer was lost, possibly to network connectivity problems'.

I have tried restoring both machines back to a date when i know the connection was working - no joy. I've also tried deleting an re-creating now VPN and RDP connections - no joy. I've researched online and tried various other things, but still have the same problem.

I've tried connecting using a laptop (via my wirelss connection) with the same result. My manager has RDP'd in from his home machines and has had no problem at all.

This leads me to consider whether the problem is with the router/BT Hub itself. I've tried the online diagnostic tools with no resolution to this problem.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Remote Desktop Connection keeps disconnecting

0 Ratings
jsquared
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thank you, but I'd already explored those options.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

0 Ratings
jsquared
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Have been all around the houses with this one. Have tried a number of the various fixes suggested but without success.

Still no closer to establishing where the problem is. The VPN connection appears to be stable, I only seem to get error messages for the remote connection itself: 'connection has been lost', 'unable to connect' etc. Subsequent attempts to connect, even seconds later, will then connect successfully before the problem arises again a short time after.

Strangely enough, even when the RDP is showing its 'Reconnecting.... 1/20' dialog I can click on the ConnectionInfo status bars and the message box pops up to report that the quality of the connection is 'good'. Other times it reports the quality as 'poor'. Either way, it is only when it ,reconnects' that it shows '.... and UDP is enabled'.

Sometimes the remote machine pushes me back to its login screen as 'Other User'. Attempting to use this results in the RDP closing out altogether.

0 Ratings
jsquared
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Oh well, I suppose that after more than 2 months of frustration with this issue, the BTCare Community is unable to help me.

I can be fairly sure that it's not my machine as it's also happened using a laptop, plus I've even reset my PC right back to its original factory state just to sure that nothing had become corrupted.

The network guys where I work have also looked at this and can find nothing at that end to cause this problem.

I've even borrowed another BT Hub and tried it through that - same problem.

So where does the answer lie? VPN issue? I've tried other VPN options - same problem. RDP problem? I've practically exhausted the list of suggested solutions that can be found by trawling the internet.

I even upgraded the broadband cable to replace the cheap old thing that has been working perfectly well in terms of broadband, again, to eliminate this as a possibility. Now I'm stumped.

To me, it looks like the problem lies between my router and the workplace network, i.e. a physical problem among the miles of lines connecting the two. Of course I don't want to shell out for a BT engineer to come out to investigate, so I thought that the combined wisdom of this community may have been able to help.

Sadly not.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

You could always try replacing the hub with a  third party router

0 Ratings
Robynaston
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

@licquoricewrote:

I have the same problem after being sent a BT smart hub with new business contract. RDP continually discoonects/reconnects. If I put the old Hub 5 back in, it all works perfectly.

Bt don't recognise the problem but just send new a smart hub (I now have 3). Final reccomendation from BT is to use old hub and forget smart extras, which I've done. Bottom line, a different router may well solve the problem.

I'll keep checking the net to see if the problem is solved.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@Robynaston wrote:

@licquoricewrote:

I have the same problem after being sent a BT smart hub with new business contract. RDP continually discoonects/reconnects. If I put the old Hub 5 back in, it all works perfectly.

Bt don't recognise the problem but just send new a smart hub (I now have 3). Final reccomendation from BT is to use old hub and forget smart extras, which I've done. Bottom line, a different router may well solve the problem.

I'll keep checking the net to see if the problem is solved.

@RobynastonWelcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

If you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

You may be able to get advice there, as there are a couple of BT employees who help.

Thanks

0 Ratings