cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MiracleMaud
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Remote Router Restart – Is it possible?

Is it possible for an individual to restart their router remotely?

By remotely, I mean hundreds or thousands of miles away, as opposed to in another room at home. And by restart, I mean, turn the power off, then back on again, at will, or by regular schedule.

I'm investigating things like the Belkin WeMo switch that can be used over the internet via an iPhone/Pad/Pod App.

Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Remote Router Restart – Is it possible?

You could use a remote operated power switch as you have already suggested, but that would rely on your Internet actually working.

The only other alternative would be to do it over the normal mobile network, I expect there is something available that would do it.

You can also get things that connect to your phone line, and respond to touch tones, a bit like an answering machine.

0 Ratings
MiracleMaud
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for your response Keith.

I must admit I posted in the other forum, hoping there might be a decent volume of "foot fall" and enhance the chances of a breadth of answers.  This forum feels a bit of a back-water.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

your question is somewhat unusual you are on the correct board for your question the reason for the lack of replies is because most people would not do what you are trying to do and therefore there is a lack  of answers to the  question 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Actually, this is the place for general Broadband questions. The other forum is to do with connecton/speed problems, which is why its more active, as many people have speed issues Smiley Wink

Your question is not one which has been raised before, so its unlikely anyone else would have any other suggestions, apart from the ones I mention.

This board is centainly not a "back-water", and discussions here, tend to be more of a technical nature.

I actually us an old Nokia 3310 mobile to trigger a remote disconnection of the power to my home hub, should I need to, when away from home.

0 Ratings
C1Rider
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

There is a device available from RS Components that will do what you want; it connects to you phone and plugs into your wall socket and you plug your router into it then you can dial your home number, enter your code, and your router will restart.

Do you have a special reason to re-set your router ??   Apparently many re-sets can upset things, but if you're not a home it won't worry you.   Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 11

How about a Technotrend TPS-2000 phoneswitch. I have one and use it for the same purpose.

I also have a mechanical 24-hour timer switch that I use to reboot every day as a backup when I'm away, so that if the phoneswitch fails I only have to wait a maximum of 24 hours for a reboot.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
MiracleMaud
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

I travel a bit, and when I’m away I use my Slingbox, attached to my Infinity to watch TV (and recordings).  From time to time, things are improved by rebooting.

In the end, I may just go for the mechanical 24-hr timer and hope for the best on the router, and keep the (impressive) WeMos for other things, like lamps and the Slingbox itself, where I may want more sophisticated “rules” to be applied.  As I understand it, with Infinity, I can restart the router almost as many times as I like without impacting the DLM.

Keith – I’m intrigued by your comment about the old Nokia mobile.  How are you doing that?

Thanks for the responses everyone.  J

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

@MiracleMaud wrote:

Keith – I’m intrigued by your comment about the old Nokia mobile.  How are you doing that?

Thanks for the responses everyone.  J

The mobile stays powered up and connected to a charger, in a light proof box.

I have LDR (Light Dependent Resistor) adjacent to the main button. This is connected to a simple electro-mechanical circuit, which does the switching. This is triggered when the display lights up on an incoming call.

An incoming call starts the sequence, but it requires an additional call to be made, within a short time, for the actual switching to take place.

The switching is done via a 12V realy, with mains contacts, which is wired in series with my home hub mains supply.

The Nokia 3310, is an old PAYG mobile, so I have to make a short outgoing call every 4 months, so that the number remains active.

0 Ratings
MiracleMaud
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Thanks Keith.  

That all sounds very ingenious, but a bit compliacted for me.  And I don't fancy leaving a phone plugged into its charger for protracted periods.

0 Ratings