cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smelly007
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Remote control home hub (latest)

Hi is it possible to control remotely my Father in Law's home hub without static ip.

I have an open port connected to a ddns service for a care cam but this can drop out and will omly reappear with a hub reboot.

Mant thanks

smelly007

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Remote control home hub (latest)

@smelly007 wrote:

Hi is it possible to control remotely my Father in Law's home hub without static ip.

I have an open port connected to a ddns service for a care cam but this can drop out and will omly reappear with a hub reboot.

Mant thanks

smelly007

I assume what you want to do is reboot the Home Hub remotely.

What you need to do is take control of your Father in Law's PC (i assume he has one) remotely  and then use that to manage the Home Hub.   

If you restart the Home Hub you will lose connection to the PC and you may not reconnect to it automatically depending on your method of connecting remotely to the PC.

Are you sure that the only way get the care cam to reappear is a hub reboot ?

Reboots of Hubs are usually recommended by a lower class of support person and it may be possible to sort the care cam without a reboot.

If possible I would experiment when you are actually close to the Hub. Perhaps using a neighbours WiFi.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

You should not need to reboot the home hub, its usually an issue with the way you have set up port forwarding for the camera itself.

If its not a specially made camera, and just something like Foscam, then I have a number of guides that should help to fix the problem.

Which make of webcam are you using?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
dilosec
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

When I've had to help family and friends with PC problems, I've used TeamViewer Quick Support at the other end, and the full Teamviever at my end - both programs are free for personal use from the TeamViewer web site.

I've used Skype for simultaneous chat (a telephone call will do as well, but charges may apply!) as an ID and password need to be exchanged for one person to gain access to the PC being supported.

If PC (or hub) reboots have been necessary, I'll leave them some instructions, drop the TeamViewer and Skype connections, they shutdown/power-off/power-on/reboot and get back on Skype/Teamviwer...

0 Ratings