Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Replace BT Smart Hub 2

Hi,

I'm a customer of BT and use BT Smart Hub 2 with 5 BT Whole home discs in my house. I have always suffered from WIFI dropouts and very low speeds. Watching iPlayer or Netflix can be very difficult on some days and I get very low speed tests results anywhere other than next to the Smart Hub. 

I would like to change my BT Smart Hub 2 to a new router and then have further router throughout the house.

I was thinking of using the Asus RT ac68U 1900 for the nodes.

To replace the current BT Smart Hub 2 router, I was thinking to use the ASUS DSL ac68U.

Is this correct? Or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks

matthewgordon_0-1600197963786.gif

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Message 2 of 11

Re: Replace BT Smart Hub 2

Many people prefer a third party router to a BT Hub, nothing wrong with that but why do you want an additional router? the Wholehome system works with any router.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Really, I didn't know this 🙂

How do you setup the discs if the Smart Hub isn't in place?

I thought that the additional router would provide better coverage as the discs currently don't give me what I need

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 11

There are two types of discs, Complete Wi-Fi (black) and Wholehome Wi-Fi (white), the white discs will work with any router and one of them must have an ethernet connection to the hub. The black discs wll only work with the Smarthub 2

https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/bt-whole-home-wi-fi/bt-whole-home-wi-fi-faqs---set-up-and-instal...

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

My mistake. I have complete WiFi black discs

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 11

In that case you could try one of these to address your Wi-Fi problems instead of using a second router.

Briefly, one unit connects to the router by ethernet and uses the house (mains) wiring to communicate with the other(s)

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

You had the same set up as me. 

Smart Hub 2 and the Complete Wifi Discs (black). 

I replaced my Smart Hub 2 with the ASUS RT-AC86U. 

I then replaced complete wifi discs (3 of them) with 1 x ASUS RT-AC68U. 

Only spot I got a weak connection was out in my shed where I have a smart plug for my garden lights, but a quick bit of fiddling with antenna orientation seemed to fix it. 

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Thanks for this. I think the problem would still exist as I still get a very low WiFi connection when next to the smart hub router itself, that's why I was looking to replace it 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 11

I still get a very low WiFi connection when next to the smart hub router itself, that's why I was looking to replace it 

Understood. The idea of the extenders was to cover wi-fi deadspots away from the hub instead of using two routers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Update, I purchased 2 x Asus RT-AC68U 1900 and setup AiMesh. It works a treat and I get much improved speeds where I have coverage. I did some speed tests, the AiMesh was achieving speeds of up to 40Mbps where the BT discs were getting up to 5Mbps. 

Currently the AiMesh router is connected wired to my BT Smart Hub. Do you know of a way to connect it wirelessly? I could then move it away from the BT Smart Hub and give further coverage. 

Thanks

0 Ratings