cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hwextreme
Message 1 of 7

Replace Smart Hub 2 with Huawei MT992 modem

Hi

I recently had a G.Fast connection installed and have the Smarthub2 , which I plan to replace with the MT992 modem as I use pfsense as a firewall & router.

Problem is, the modem was delivered without any documentation and Hauwei's website has no information either.   So I do not know what format the router needs to be configured for?

Does anyone know if it operates as a Bridged modem or PPP or PPPoE ?  I have tried adapting my pfsense install with all three mehods and cannot get it to work.   I will setup a new PFsense install tomorrow to test as mine has multiple VPN's which makes things more complicated.  And it has been years since I last used a modem 🙂 

The datasheet on Huawei's website stats that there is some type of webgui, but I cannot connect to it, a port scan indicated that it has an ip address of 192.168.1.1, but no open ports so not sure how we are supposed to connect to it.

Cheers

Phil

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Replace Smart Hub 2 with Huawei MT992 modem

I don't know for certain, but very suspect it will be just a bridged modem and will be just plug and play, the PPPoE details will be entered in your PFsense.........username homehub@btbroadband.com and password BT

0 Ratings
hwextreme
Message 3 of 7

I have it working now with PPPoE passing credentials, but have spent hours trying to get the throughput the same as the router with pfsense.

It appears that with default PPP settings in pfsense 2.4.4 I get 33mb/sec

But by disabling compression, and forcing the MTU to 1470 in the PPP configuration page on pfsense I have regained the performance, there i just now an occasion disconnect to the internet I am trying to resolve.

Annoyingly the Xbox network connection test is still complaining that my NAT is strict and limiting Multiplayer games, this I had hoped as the double NAT'ing but it appears to be something in pfsense or PFBLOCKERNG. 

0 Ratings
JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Where did you acquire the modem from?
0 Ratings
hwextreme
Message 5 of 7

I asked the Openreach engineer for one when he visited to replace the faceplate and test the connection for my G.fast order.

however I did see some on alibaba for around £100

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Have you enabled UPnP in pfsense - it is disabled by default.

0 Ratings
hwextreme
Message 7 of 7

UPNP is disabled. I had not looked at that, I will create a backup and have a play   thanks 🙂 

0 Ratings