Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Replacement for BT white Whole Home WiFi/

Go to solution

Our 3 BT Whole Home WiFi disks are getting more and more unfit for purpose.  This morning they stayed blue but provided no WiFi signal to any device four times.  The BT hub works as normal and restarting  the main white disk gets everything back and connected.  There is no pattern to the disconnections which might suggest REIN and our home set-up  was checked by BT a while ago.  There aren’t any electrical devices like, microwave ovens active when the white disks  disconnect every device.

Phoning BT disk support they blame the BT router and BT blame every device.  The house isn’t too large and has no problem walls and the disk set-up app says our disks are well placed.  The service providers (e.g. Spotify, BBC Sounds) have no known issues when this happens.

We’re fed up with music etc dropping out repeatedly and having to]manually re-connect Some devices.

Can anyone recommend a good whole home WiFi mesh system we could plug into the BT router to get more reliable WiFi from our broadband?

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Replacement for BT white Whole Home WiFi/

Go to solution
I have an Orbi mesh system that works really well throughout the house. Great speeds and so far super reliable. I plugged it into the Smart Hub 2 and am using it in AP (access point) mode.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks - I’ll check that one out.  
Has anyone else found the BT white Whole Home WiFi disks unreliable?  They stay blue but appear to provide no WiFi to any device.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Sorry - dumb question but is there a webpage that would tell me how to set up access mode?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Very easy, you do it on the orbi webpage when setting up the mesh. So cat cable from mesh to BT hub, turn off WiFi on BT hub then rename new mesh network to your old BT network so that you don’t have to reconnect all your devices. I did all of this with a laptop connected to the BT hub with cat cable to make sure I didn’t lose WiFi connection whilst switching off the WiFi and changing network names.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Rotarua674 

If you are looking for a cheaper system that will operate in access mode, then I finds these work well.

https://www.tendacn.com/us/product/nova%20mw3.html

0 Ratings