cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edjonesy
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Replacement for Homehub 5

I'm fed up with my HH5, after the firmware 'upgrade' in February wi-fi is almost unusable and BT want to charge me for a replacement HH5, no thanks, I don't want them to be able to 'upgrade' it again.

I don't have a seperate openreach modem, just the HH5 and Infinity 2, can anyone recommend a replacement VDSL modem router?

I've looked at the TP-Link TD-W9980 N600 and the Asus DSL-N66U, does anyone have any experience with either of these?

I personally prefer the look of the Asus, but it has mixed reviews, I also have devices that can make use of the slightly faster wifi offered by the Asus, I don't have anything that uses wireless AC so thats not a concern from any replacement router.

Thanks for the help.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Replacement for Homehub 5

there are users with bothe asus and tplink on forum and I'm sure they will post when they read yours

@licquorice   has the TPlink and recommends it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

As imj has said, perfectly happy with my TP Link, has been rock solid since before Christmas. I believe the problems with the Asus have been resolved by a firmware update since the poor reviews.

edjonesy
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Thank you for your replies.

I know you can't answer in relation to the Asus, but I often log in to a machine at home via VNC, can this be done with the TP-Link? 

Also, I sometimes disable items on the network, so children aren't on the internet late at night, that sort of thing, can that be done with the TP-Link aswell?

Finally, as both aren't crippled by BT, I assume I can go back to using opendns servers.

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

@edjonesy wrote:

Thank you for your replies.

I know you can't answer in relation to the Asus, but I often log in to a machine at home via VNC, can this be done with the TP-Link? 

I have no reason to use VNC, but have no reason to believe there would be any problems.

Also, I sometimes disable items on the network, so children aren't on the internet late at night, that sort of thing, can that be done with the TP-Link aswell?

Yes, but the way it works is a bit odd.

Finally, as both aren't crippled by BT, I assume I can go back to using opendns servers.

Definitely

Thanks again

Have a look at the user manual here http://uk.tp-link.com/resources/document/TD-W9980_1.0_User_Guide_1910010923.pdf

edjonesy
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

That's brilliant.

I've got to say, you're way more helpful than BT customer help, Thank you very much.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 14

I'm using the Asus DSL-AC68U which is proving very reliable with the latest firmware. I'd guess that the DSL-N66U would also be reliable as my RT-N66U has been.

The TP-Link does seem to be a good option as it's liked here & is very affordable.

edjonesy
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Thanks Tim.

Do you know if you can block devices at certain times and use VNC on the Asus? Please see one of my previous posts in the thread, I understand you may not know as they may be features you don't use.

I'm glad you find it reliable, that was the main complaint about the Asus I'm considering, but if the latest firmware is better, hooray.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 14

With the AC68U (and I think most other Asus routers) there are parental controls to restrict specified devices to specific time slots so that'll do what you want.

About VNC I have no knowledge but can't see why it shouldn't work.

The reliablility I was referring to was for the AC68U , can't speak for the N66U I'm afraid. But there are recent firmware upgrades similar to the AC68U so my guess would be that the same improvement in reliability would be seen.

edjonesy
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

That's fair enough.

I understand you can only speak about the model you own, the negative reviews on Amazon seem to stop from about October 2014, and in the questions asked by prospective buyers and answered by existing owners people are using them with infinity and finding them much better than the HH5.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings