Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snowmeow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Replacement hub 3

Hi

Just had a replacement hub 3 sent but it will not connect via ethernet to my desktop. It works via laptop on same cable also connects to desktop wireless. All worked fine on previous hub (before power surge blew it up) Anyone any idea what im doing wrong? Nothing has changed and i thought i could just swap the hub and all would be the same. The desktop just cant see the wired connection ?

Thanks for any help

Chris

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Replacement hub 3

@snowmeow wrote:

Hi

Just had a replacement hub 3 sent but it will not connect via ethernet to my desktop. It works via laptop on same cable also connects to desktop wireless. All worked fine on previous hub (before power surge blew it up) Anyone any idea what im doing wrong? Nothing has changed and i thought i could just swap the hub and all would be the same. The desktop just cant see the wired connection ?

Thanks for any help

Chris

I suspect that the power surge has damaged the Ethernet port on your desktop.

If its a separate network card, then they are cheap and easy to replace.

If its part of the motherboard, then there is nothing you can do about it apart from fit an internal network card if there is a spare PCI slot.

The alternative is a USB-Ethernet adapter.

0 Ratings
snowmeow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply.

I have checked everything and the ethernet port shows as working in windows and all drivers are updated. i even reformatted the pc and still no change. i have bought a pci ethernet adapter so will see if this cures the problem when it arrives.

Thanks again

Chris

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

The damage will be on the optical isolator within the network card hardware. Windows will not see this as it on the "hot" side of the hardware.

Windows can only check the software. There is normally an LED "link" light on the network card if it is working.

0 Ratings
snowmeow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thank you for reply

I will see if the replacement pci card solves the issue. Sorry but can i pick your brains once again?  When i get the new pci card do i have to remove/uninstall the old one?.

Thanks again

Chris

0 Ratings