cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Replacement “new” SH2 has devices and log files prior to us booting it.

Hello

new member seeking help.

We have had a smart hub 2 since 2019. Recently I logged into its admin to find my password had reverted back to the original. WPS was switched on and UPNP was active. The log files showed various port forwarding events etc. plus some Firewall activity Dos, Syn flooding etc. So I reset the router. Switched off UPNP and WPS. Changed passwords.  I recently noticed a port forwarding event via TR069 to my tv box in the logs so I contacted BT who told us they’d replace the hub saying they don’t use port forwarding to make a software update.

The new SH2 arrived and we set it up isolating it from the WAN and switching the WiFi off. Usual stuff change admin password etc. When looking in the log files there are 2 pages of us booting into it along with 11 other pages. These show the router attached to other devices and a connection to a WAN plus a software upgrade via the GUI. 2 devices are named in the log files and in the network map on the LAN as slave-bay8  and Bay8-master . BT support no nothing of this.

can anyone explain.?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Replacement “new” SH2 has devices and log files prior to us booting it.

Its a refurbished device, its either entries from testing prior to shipping or from previous owner. Just factory reset it if you are worried.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

I doubt it’s from a previous owner because of the software update from GUI and all the dates are 01 October.

Firmware is from April last year.

BT support say it shouldn’t have been in the logs on a new router so sent another.

Router arrived so we did the same setup and examined the logs it’s virtually identical with the same devices listed on the network map and also in the log files not generated by us. The only difference is in their IP addresses.

BT support say they can’t confirm that it’s been done by a BT engineer in refurbishing it as they don’t know who or where refurbishment took place. I would have expected technical support staff to know this. They say factory reset it.

I’ve even spoken to a manager who couldn’t seem to understand that I am concerned about router logs and a software upgrade from GUI prior to me switching a “new” router on. So they have gone off to try and find out……who to talk with to get an answer. 

Not very inspiring…. Being told by BT support  just to factory reset it. Why wasn’t it done prior to me receiving it?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

I agree that it should be standard practice for BT to factory reset refurbished hubs/routers before sending them out. However, it only takes a few minutes to do it yourself and probably we should all adopt that practice when we receive a "new" hub from BT
Message 5 of 5

No idea why you are making such a fuss about a non event.