cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Replacement of smarthub 2

Noting the update on April 11 that BT made to my smart hub which has since caused connection problems for my devices idecided to replace the smarthub 2 with something else.

I ended up with a TP-Link VR2100 but for the life of me I can't get it to 'connect'. Using the smart setup - selected the BT_VDSL option, username with or without password but no joy.

Tried the 'Other' option which is more manual but that didn't help.

I pesume that the ip addresses when using my smarthub are dhcp and not static (as i've never monitored if that one changes), I can't imagine how it could not be dhcp.

I've got the cable plugged in to the WAN port on the TPLink, and it seems to be trying to do something as the port led flashes on the openreach box.

I'm got FTTP and full fibre 900.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Replacement of smarthub 2

you need to connect the ONT to the wan port on tplink and username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com  and password if needed just use BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 13

@TonyHolland 

Why did you buy a VDSL modem/router, when you have an FTTP connection? All you needed was a wireless router.

Message 4 of 13

You need to set up wireless router mode. Follow the instructions in the manaul. You will still need the password.

Message 5 of 13

In fairness, I did buy a router (non modem) but after trying that and not getting it to work I googled it and there was at least one instance when it was suggested that a modem/router was required, which kind of made sense as there is this step relating to entering the bthomehub@btbroadband.com user id.

I thought it would be an easy change, just moving the WAN connection from smarthub to new router (still connected to the ONT) and follow the smart setup, but not quite as simple. I've now tried with it switched to router mode, not modem and getting different results but still no joy.

Also now having to wait for a network backup to finish before I can pull the smarthub again.

I note that the smarthub  is listed as "coming preconfigured", be interested to find out what is configured.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

@TonyHolland wrote:

In fairness, I did buy a router (non modem) but after trying that and not getting it to work I googled it and there was at least one instance when it was suggested that a modem/router was required, which kind of made sense as there is this step relating to entering the bthomehub@btbroadband.com user id.

I note that the smarthub  is listed as "coming preconfigured", be interested to find out what is configured.

Absolutely no need for another modem with FTTP, the ONT is the modem, you only need a router.

The user ID is the PPPoE user ID which is handled by a router not a modem.

You need to ensure the TP Link is expecting an input on its WAN port rather than its DSL port. You probably need to configure things manually.

As already stated by @Pedro19  you need to set it up in Wireless Router Mode then in the Internet settings you need to configure connection type as PPPoE and username bthomehub@btbroadband and password BT

Message 7 of 13

All makes sense, especially after seeing many of the advanced options available.

"expecting an input on its WAN port rather than its DSL port", is my next thing to investigate and check.

Tthanks for all the help so far.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

All working (posting this from my new TP-link connection).

Ironically it's actually relatively easy to get it working, all the points above helped to get it working. The ONT only has 1 WAN port but I could not find this information on the internet so testing on port 2 obviously fails. The modem/router I purchased did need switching to router mode, but then adding the bthomehub..... UID to the PPPoE setting and ensuring that dynamic IP was enabled. This had to be done under advanced options on the router. LIkewise I got my none-modem router working too, on its own.

Most of the difficulty was from lack of familiarisation of the router and where the specific options were, getting the right options switched, but also trying not to pull down my home network at the same time as recovery for the NAS, security, heating, etc, etc can take for ages to restore.

Thanks for all the help.

Message 9 of 13

Purely out of interest - and perhaps playing Devils advocate, can you still use a landline phone if BT convert you to DV and you're not using the SH2?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Our telephone was switched over to fibre along with the fibre BB install. The telephone wiring plugs in to the ONT and is completely seperate from the router/Smart hub 2.

We're able to use all our original services with the new router.

0 Ratings