cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Replacing BT Smart Hub 2

Hi everyone, really hoping for some advice on what to do. 

Recently moved into a new build home which has fibre (900mb) to the door. Wire comes in under the stairs, goes into the open reach box, and then into the Smart Hub 2. Alongside the modem is 3 ethernet sockets which feed ethernet connections in 3 other rooms.

The original plan was to take the ethernet from the open reach modem, plug that into one of my AirPort Extremes, then take 3 ethernet cables out of that Extreme into the other rooms where I would have 3 other AirPort Extremes, creating an extended wifi network. 

It almost worked perfectly, except the speeds on the AirPort Extreme seems to be limited to 260mb down when wired in (I have a consistent 900mb down). 

The reason I wanted to use the AirPort Extremes are partly familiarity with how it works, my confidence in their performance, and being able to do things like add the CloudFlare DNS. 

So, the question is...is it possible to get full speed out of the AirPort Extreme when connected via PPPoE? I really don't want to use the Smart Hub, so can anyone recommend a similar product to my 3/4 AirPort Extreme setup which gets rid of the need for the Smart Hub? 

Or is it possible to send a signal to the AirPort Extreme from the Smart Hub without getting the double NAT issue? I've tried multiple things, disabling DHCP, putting the IP of the Extreme into the DMZ, but I can't seem to work it out. 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6

Re: Replacing BT Smart Hub 2

If they're the latest v6 variety then that sounds about right, they're only half duplex so if you use three then you will get around 1/3 of the full speed at each

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Yeah so certainly open to getting a different router/system if there are any suggestions.
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thanks but I would rather move away from BT hardware solutions.
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6

There's other systems that do the same thing, just search for wi-fi mesh systems on Google

0 Ratings