Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dma0awc
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Replacing BT homehub 2 with Time Capsule

We currently have a homehub 2 and 

1.  Most of our machinery is now Apple and, performance aside, it will be useful to have a TC for backup

2.  The homehub seems to drop connections very frequently. 

I am aware the the TC does not have a modem so my question is:  should I just use the homehub as a modem or is it better to replace it completely with an off-the-shelf modem?  Whether I keep the homehub or replace it, is it juts a matter of installi ng the TC or is it more complcated?

thanks 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
colonelmillard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Replacing BT homehub 2 with Time Capsule

Whether using the home hub or an off the shelf modem setting up the TC won't be difficult. Though when you say the Homehub is dropping out/disconnecting is this merely wireless dropout or complete loss? if it's just wireless dropout, changing the wireless channel might sort that http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11382 and if it works might save you a few quid on a new modem! Also channel 11 would be my best bet...
If you think i'v helped... geez a biscuit.
0 Ratings
dma0awc
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Just trying ...  I'll get some biscuits in just in case

0 Ratings
colonelmillard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

How'd you get on?

If you think i'v helped... geez a biscuit.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 6

I am using my Time Capsule in bridge mode and as the wireless router with my Home Hub 2 pugged into it. Since connecting the TC, i have gone over my monthly broadband allowance and am worried that backing up my MacBook (over wifi to TC) is eating all my bandwidth (even though i had assumed it was doing this over a LAN and hence would not use my bandwidth) 

I have set up the TC as instructed and it works just fine ... it's just that i'm worried when i backup over wifi, it is eating all my bandwidth allowance. The IP address of the TC starts with 192 (if that helps at all) 

Can anyone confirm  if this really is an issue? will backing up over TC wifi use my bandwidth alloance? 

many thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Any traffic on your local network does not count towards your allowance.

See.

What doesn't count against my download allowance?

0 Ratings