cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Replacing Complete Home Wifi

I have been having problems with SH2 and Complete Wifi.   With a large number of devices (60 plus) and a difficult house (lots of girders and foil backed platerboard) I have suffered from slow wifi speeds on the two discs using wifi backhaul (the third using Ethernet is fine) and the hub also seems to be failing to on the DHCP front .

I am thinking of investing in  3 x TPLink AX60s but pondering,if necessary, how to connect to the SH2. I have BT Digital Voice and need to retain SH2 to maintain my voice service.

I currently have FTTP 900Mbytes service. I am wondering whether it is possible to put a small switch on the ONT ethernet port and effectively run two routers running PPOe on a single fibre service. If this were the case I could avoid problems such as double NAT , utilization of the DMZ on the SH2 or using the AX60s in AP mode.

Any thoughts ?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Replacing Complete Home Wifi

Yes, you can't do that.

Your choices are limited if you want to keep the SH2. If you have 2 routers connected together you will have double NAT if you connect them LAN to WAN, putting the second router in the DMZ of the first just avoids double port forwarding, it doesn't avoid double natting. If you connect the second device LAN to LAN in AP mode, you just have glorified wifi access points.

Personally, I would abandon the SH2 and Digital Voice and just use a third party VOIP service.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Try changing the default lease time to a lower number, I have mine on 6 hours now. Also, try it with Authoritative DHCP switched off.

It seems to help, as inactive devices get released from the pool.

Cheers
Ted
Message 4 of 6

Many thanks for the response, I am not surprised although had seen this suggested in another forum as a way forward. Her indoors is quite attached to Digital Voice so I will probably try to retain SH2. I think I will go ahead with purchasing AX60s and explore what happens with various configurations.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Ted many thanks for the response,

I am going to purchase the AX 60s but will try what you have suggested as I will have to retain the SH2 as her indoors likes the landline . If possible I may split the network  have one part served by SH2 and the other by the AX60s and have 2 DHCP servers offering different ranges of IP addresses. ( I may be talking complete xxxxxx ! but will investigate options further as I need to understand if splitting the network I can keep DHCP requests to their portion of the network.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Try it before you splash out on new kit, think of the brownie points! 🙂

Cheers
Ted
0 Ratings