Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Replacing Home Hub - apparently "DHCP must be off?"

Hi All,

I am looking to replace the HH4, its too restrictive for my liking and so I want to upgrade it.

I have read if you want to replace both parts, you must get a VDSL router (I presume this is if you want to get rid of white OpenReach modem box, and Home Hub), or alternatively, any PPPoE / PPPoA router can connect directly to the white OpenReach modem box.

I read in another thread, that you must disable DHCP on a replacement router, but I dont understand why, as the HH4 should be the DHCP Server.

am i misunderstanding something here?

Can I simply replace the box with any PPPoE supported device (ideally supporting infinity speeds, say up to 300mbps as a precaution) and have it working as long as it has the relevant / correct PPPoE credentials?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Replacing Home Hub - apparently "DHCP must be off?"

If you are replacing both the OR modem and the hub then you want to look at VDSL modem/routers.

Asus, Billion and some others.  Which one you get depends on how much you are willing to spend and the features you require.  For example if you want to be able to properly utilise IPv6 then avoid Netgear devices,  TP-Link are supposed to be working on a fix for IPv6 but it's not available 'out of the box' you need to get the link for the Beta firmware from their tech support.

If you disable DHCP on your router then you would have to manually configure ALL your devices with a static IP address etc.  So I don't know who told you that, not the best way to go if you have lots of different types of devices wanting to use the connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

I have just bought the router :  ZyXEL VMG3925-B10B

I am hoping that will be more than suitable for the purpose. All I need is something that doesnt choke every ounce of data that comes through it.

With regards the DHCP, I merely found it online on a BT forum so I did take it with a pinch of salt and wanted to clarify.

I am just hoping my investment in the ZyXEL is the right answer!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

It was probably in a post regarding using a second router or home hub as a wireless access point, in which case DHCP needs to be turned off on the second device as it is managed by the first.

0 Ratings