Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick1
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Replacing Sky Hub with BT Home Hub 4

Go to solution

I had a home network of a Sky Router & a 24 way switch.

The switch connected a number of RJ45 sockets around the house, my NAS, my PC, & 3 routers just providing Wifi for phones & tablets, and my eDIN lighting system.

I switched the Sky Hub with BT Home Hub 4 & expected it to work .....

Clearly my Home Hub is working - I can connect to the internet through it wirelessly. However the PC that was previously connected to the internet via the switch & Sky Router now shows "Unknown Network". The switch is clearly working correctly as I can still access the lighting system on 192.168.0.2

I have a feeling the the problem is because the Sky Hub used 192.168.0.1 as it's Gateway whilst the BT Hub uses 192.168.1.254 however I don't know what to do about this.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Replacing Sky Hub with BT Home Hub 4

Go to solution

Welcome to this forum.

You will have to change all of the devices to use the same subnet as the home hub, ie

192.168.1.xxx with a gateway of 192.168.1.254.

The lighting system could have an IP address of 192.168.1.2, if that is easier. The gateway would be 192.168.1.254.

Any other devices that are programmed with static IP addresses, would also need to be updated.

Devices that use DHCP to get an IP address, should automatically get an IP address, gateway, and DNS settings from the home hub.

The other alternative would be to change the IP address and DHCP range of the home hub.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Changed-BT-Home-Hub-4-s-IP-address-and-now-wifi-...

This can be a bit tricky.

Nick1
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. Unfortunately I think that I must have a hardware problem with my BT Homehub, but BT refuse to accept this. After 3 days of trouble shooting I have ended up removing everything from my network, and indeed the network itself.

If I have just my Hub connected to the phoneline, and a laptop connected to the homehub wirelessly, then a BT speed test shows my ADSL line to be 3.9M & my Laptop received speed to be 3.4M. However if I then disconnect the wireless connection, and plug the laptop into the back of the router:

We haven't been able to complete the speed test at this time.

This may be due to a problem with the speed tester, or your line may be running very slowly.

I would emphasis that the only physical connections to the Home Hub are the phone line and a cable from the Laptop to the RJ45 socket 4 (the Gig socket) of the Home Hub.

I get exactly the same result using my desktop which is connected via a switch. Under normal circumstances my Sonos Music system, wireless access points, NAS, & eDin lighting controls would be connected to the switch, but I have switched them all off & unplugged them from the network in order to prove that the problem is the Home Hub. I would bypass the switch completely, but I'm not sure which cable from the patchpanel is the PC, I could work it out but it's a lot of bother when I have the result from the laptop plugged into the Home Hub.

I have phoned the BT Helpline about this twice. They are adamant that as they measure 3.9M from their exchange, and that I can get 3.4M wirelessly the fault must lie with my network, and that I have to employ a 3rd party computer technician to troubleshoot the network. When I point out that the network isn't connected or running when the problem occurs they reiterate that this isn't a BT problem.

The only thing that I can think of to do to prove that this is a BT issue is to use the old Sky Hub to connect to the ADSL, and show that the network will run with the Sky Hub. What setting would I need to use to get the Sky Modem to work with the BT ADSL?

0 Ratings
Nick1
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
I would add that I do have a slow Internet Connection with the BT Home Hub (that's how I am managing to post here. I've measured it at 0.29M using www.speedtest.net/ - the Home Hub is set to prevent you using 3rd party testers, but if I use the sky router as a switch I can bypass the homehub's defences.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
The sky router is locked to their network and cannot be used on the BT network

the home hub is not set to prevent third party speedtests
Highlighted
Nick1
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

John,

Thanks for your post, I think you've pointed me in the right direction. My attempts to go to www.speedtest.net/ were getting forwarded to something like http://192.168.1.254/oie/mac-step0.html and since then I have reset up my BT Account with the router.

During my trouble shooting with the BT Helpline they had me do a "Hard Reset" of the router, and I am thinking that this did something to Parental Controls or something else which stopped the router working properly. Since I reset things (recreating my account) my BT Speed Tester has started working, and my wired speed has returned to normal.

I will now start re-adding devices & monitoring the affect that this has on my system. 

0 Ratings
Nick1
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

I have finally solved the first problem ...... in spite of assistance from BT support which included telling me that my lack of connection was cause by something on my network when nothing except the laptop I was testing with was plugged into router. They even sent an engineer out ..... a waste of time, because it took 5 days to get an engineer, and when he arrived, he did telephones not BB! One of the greatest suggestions for a solution to my problems to have come from BT support was that I was using the wrong colour Ethernet Cable. They insisted that I needed a YELLOW cable (not the blue one that I was using), and said that they would mail me one. It never arrived, I presume that somewhere higher up the food chain someone recognised the stupidity at work.

Anyway, the problem - finally I decided that I was the only person likely to fix this problem, so I sat down with Google & looked for the sorts of problems that might cause my symptoms. Without the incentive BT had to claim that it wasn't a problem caused by them I quickly identified the issue - a faulty filter! Since throwing away the filter supplied with the Home Hub I have now had a full week uninterrupted BB. It maybe a bit early to get cocky, but I think that really was the cause of 3 weeks misery!

I don't know if BT read these forums, but they should. I understand that you have to deal with stupid customers, people who phone up to complain but haven't connected the router to 240V etc etc, but if I have taken the trouble to disconnect my network, plug my router into the test socket, reboot my PC & the router, and then telephone for the 40th time (twice a day for 3 weeks) I don't want to have to ask a load of questions, about my phone line, reboot my PC again, and the router, and then .... the final analysis from BT after, "it's your network that isn't connected", and "your ethernet cable is the wrong colour" was "YOU ARE REBOOTING YOUR ROUTER TOO OFTEN AND DISRUPTING THE CONNECTION". If I phone for help multiple times, why can't I pick up where I left off?

Sorry to rant, I'm just hoping that telling my story might get a message through to BT. I've not been in this Forum because I couldn't connect ...... but now I can I can ask my question again:-

The lights in my house are controled by an eDin PLC system which resides at 192.168.0.2. This fitted in neatly with the Sky Hub Gateway at 192.168.0.1 but clearly clashes horribly with the BT DHCP of 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253. I don't know how to change the eDin system - given that I can no longer access it I couldn't change it anyway! And can't find how to set devices to fixed IP addresses on the BT Home Hub? Any clues please?

I have to say that after 10 years of setting up routers (admittedly not BT ones) this is the first time I've found it impossible to set DHCP & fixed addresses!

My next question will be - how do I switch DCHP off on a Home Hub 4. Is it by setting addresses manually, and then not setting any addresses? 

0 Ratings
Nick1
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Anybody?

How to Change DHCP Range?

How to assign fixed IP addresses to set devices?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

To change DHCP range, log onto the Homehub management pages then go to advance settings > Home Network > IP Addresses > DHCP Server

To set a device to use DHCP to get a fixed IP address.Log in to the HomeHub 5 and browse to the Home Network page > Find the device in the list of devices and click on it > Click on 'Yes' next to the "Always use this IP address" option.

0 Ratings
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

Re: Connecting a TP Link switch to BT Home Hub 4

Go to solution

Just to add, assuming you aren't using the Sky router in your network mix the easiest way to solve your problem is to set your BT DHCP server using the same IP range as the Sky one did (i.e. router ip address 192.168.0.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 dhcp range 192.168.0.15 to 192.168.0.254). Then set your computer's network adapters (wifi and wired), smartphones etc. to use automatic/DHCP configuration. Hope this helps.

0 Ratings