cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Replacing a BTHUB6

I'm on my sencond BTHUB6 (Fibre 2) and the wifi is feeble and the hub drops connection to the internet regulalry (once or twice a week - always when it's needed most!)

So I decided to swap it and looking through this community's messages thought I had worked out what was needed.  So I bought a tp-link AC1900 (Archer C80) router from BT.

It arrived today and looking at the connections on the back, there isn't anywhere to plug in the RJ11 plug from the Openreach socket, and the intructions say 'unplug your modem from the current router and plug it into this new one' or words to that effect.

I don't have a modem any longer.  I used to have one of the white ones, but that disappeared when my router was replaced by BT some years ago.

Have I bought the wrong router?  Do I need to buy a reconditioned openreach modem as well?

Or does the RJ45 on the Openreach socket plug into the WAN port on the new router?

ADSL, VDSL phone-line connections - argh!  Brain has gone to mush.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Andy

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Replacing a BTHUB6

you have bought a router not a modem/router hence why you cannot connect the rj11   can you not return it and get the modem/router version

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Thank you for the prompt response.

I contacted BT and told them what happened, and I asked them for their recommendation of a suitable alternative for the Bthub6. They told me that they aren't trained in the products they sell and that I'd need to research it for myself.

So in the face of that wonderful customer service, I'm again asking for help.

I just want a reliable modem  router:

• that doesn't randomly drop the connection to the internet;
  • with wifi that will reach through a couple of stud walls;
  • which doesn't forget the SSID and password I've set whenever the mood takes it; and
  • that allows me to use channels other than 1, 6 or 11, which are crammed full by the neighbours.

Budget isn't too relevant just as long as I get what I need.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Andy

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

@pintokitkat 

This one is very popular, and works with all BT services.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr400/v2/

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

@pintokitkat 

Also have a check here on returning it to BT - Returning Goods - Our Returns Policy | BT Shop

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@Keith_Beddoe 

Is the VR400 V2 preferred to the V3 version? I'm asking out of total ignorance btw.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

@TimCurtis wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe 

Is the VR400 V2 preferred to the V3 version? I'm asking out of total ignorance btw.

The V3 is only needed if you intend to add TP Link`s mesh system, otherwise the V2 is fine.

• Whole-Home Coverage with OneMeshTM – Works alongside TP-Link OneMeshTM products to create a flexible Mesh network"
Message 8 of 11

Everyone, thank you so much. Absolutely brilliant responses. Speedy, unambiguous and helpful.

I'll order the router today.

Andy

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Bt have sent me a returns number so I can send the other router back.

Thanks,

Andy
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

@pintokitkat 

It has a simple setup wizard, and all you need to enter in, is the login details.

username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password BT

Here is the software emulator, which you can play around with, to see the options available.

https://emulator.tp-link.com/Archer_VR400(EU)_V2/index.htm

0 Ratings