cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Havelock1
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Replacing a SmartHub 6A router/modem with a TP Link TD W9970

I've given up with the  BT Smart Hub, which has problems reliably connecting to wired devices around the home.  Bought a replacement router which will not connect to the internet.     It is configured correctly as far as I can see and as far as TP Link can see, but BT seem to block internet access from it.  

Can anyone help me to solve this issue?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Replacing a SmartHub 6A router/modem with a TP Link TD W9970

@Havelock1 

If you have an Ultrafast (G.fast) connection, then that router will not work.

If you have an ADS or VDSL connection, there should be no problem.

What message are you seeing?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

There are numerous people using that router

Did you enter username  

bthomehub@btinternet.com

Password if needed use BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Havelock1
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Thanks Keith,  We're on VDSL as far as I's aware (fibre to cab about a mile away - copper to house, speeds around 30mbs.  The message is ;  

Havelock1_0-1602945684272.png

Hope you can read the message...

I have checked with TP LInk who say there configuration is OK but the internet seems to be "blocked" by BT

0 Ratings
Havelock1
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Thanks 

The installation does ask for a Username and Password for the current ISP - so I've used our username and password for log in to our account.

Should I just be entering the info you supply?  i.e. 

Username; bthomehub@btinternet.com

Password ; BT

Is this what you mean or do you mean the password for the new router? If so, then I've created an SSID and a wireless password for the new router which seems to work - but not in terms of connecting to the internet. 

Thanks  

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Its this screen you need to be inputting those details.

pppoasetup.JPG

0 Ratings
Havelock1
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Thanks Keith,

I've spent hours getting this to work which in now does - partially.   Main issue is now that I have a solar inverter which has a wired connection.   Each night the Inverter looses the internet connection.  Rebooting the router and/or the inverter doesn't do the trick.    Putting the BT Home Hub 6A back into the system makes the situation worse as more connections are lost and cannot be found reliably.   Effectively the "Spur" of the internet/network that runs from a switch to the area where the inverter is, does not reliably find the internet and when it does it doesn't keep the connection for more than around 12 hours.  The main wired PC in the house shares the same switch and communicates via it to the router with no problems 24/7 (i.e. it normally stays on all the time).   So, no longer a HomeHub 6 problem but a problem nonetheless!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

@Havelock1 

Start by increasing the DHCP lease time  from 1440 (1day) to 2880  (2days), as it may be a problem with the invertor losing its IP address. You can in fact add it to the IP reservation list, so it always gets the same IP address.

If you look at the current remaining lease time, you may be able to see if the time when it runs out, matches the time you lose connection.

The other alternative, if its possible, is to reconfigure the network setting on the invertor, so it has a static IP address outside of the DHCP range, say 192.168.1.10.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Havelock1
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Thanks Keith,

I can't seem to find a facility to change DHCP setting - here's a screenshot of the menu from the admin pages of the router ....

Havelock1_0-1603188821436.png

Am I being completely inept (again?)

I have now got the Inverter to "see" the router by using a shared switch and connecting something else to that switch which seems to have woken the Inverter!   Trouble is it's all hard wired so I can't leave it like that if I want to close any doors!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Are you sure its the TP Link W9970 that you have, as it does not look like it?

Look at the emulator page https://emulator.tp-link.com/W9970V2_Emulator/index.htm

Its under the IPTV menu.

0 Ratings