cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Replacing my BT Home Hub with a router, using BT Fibre with an OpenReach Modem does not work

Go to solution

The BT Home Hub is a pile of jank and I want to get rid of it and use my own router.

I thought it would be a simple case of throwing the BT Home Hub in the trash and plugging in a router like my Asus RT AC66U B1 to my OpenReach Modem, but it won't connect.

I selected PPPoE and put the broadbanduser@btbroadband.com and password BT

However it does not work (Your ISP's DHCP is not functioning properly').

I've searched around but can't find anything other than people saying they just plug it in and it works.

Could anyone advise?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Replacing my BT Home Hub with a router, using BT Fibre with an OpenReach Modem does not work

Go to solution

Many people have used third party routers , simply entering the default credentials, so that kind of eliminates the ISP as the problem, it’s much more likely that the settings you have entered are incorrect or the router is defective or incompatible,  it’s not unheard of for people trying to use a router that is not designed to work with VDSL or Gfast (depending on what type of service you have ), also wouldn’t you also completely remove the OR modem from the set up anyway ? 
There are contributors on here much more ‘au fait’ with this type of thing and may offer help

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Re: Replacing my BT Home Hub with a router, using BT Fibre with an OpenReach Modem does not work

Go to solution

From what I've read you simply set PPPoE and type the username and any password, there's no other config required.

The OR modem is a VDSL modem I believe, and it turns the fibre cable into RJ45 (and it may do other things too). BT hub says PPPoE and the username/password, seems fairly simple. Not sure why the router doesn't work.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Fixed this now by updating to the latest firmware, which added an 'auto-detect' to the setup wizard.

What it has auto-detected I do not know, as I can't see a difference on the settings page.

However it now works. So I'd recommend a firmware update if you're having problems. 

Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

That’s good to hear, basically it did not detect your PPPoE connection but if you had gone into the settings you could have entered those many which is the DNS servers and your credentials.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

The problem was DHCP, not DNS. I'm not sure what settings the autoconfigure picked up that weren't the manual defaults. I read something about no compatibility for 802.1q but I couldn't see that setting to disable it. I suppose I will never know. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

What is the router out of interest?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I mentioned it in my first post, Asus RT AC66U B1

I'm running Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1_2 now (was 384 previously)

Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

For some reason some routers hate PPPoE connections, my Ubiquiti dream machine is one.

I would pop over to Smallnetbuilders forum where they have a forum for Asus and Merlin is a forum member too if you have problems. He’s a nice guy and lots of helpful advice on there.

It sounds like the typical bug where it wanted a DHCP connection, the update solved the issue of picking up PPPoE. 

0 Ratings