cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Replacing phone sockets with ethernet

I have recently had FTTP installed at my house and wanted to use ethernet to connect to my Sky Q box and TV. Having had a poke around in the loft this morning I noticed that the house builder (house is around 3 years old) had used Cat5e cable for the phone system. I know I can change the face plates and connectors to take an ethernet cable but I don't know where I would put the initial feed. Is there a way to use the existing wiring to feed the signal from the Smart Hub 2 around the house?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Replacing phone sockets with ethernet

The phone wiring will be daisy chained from socket to socket and thus won't be suitable for Ethernet which will need discrete cables from the hub

Message 3 of 4

@AdamL79 

Welcome to this user forum.

Unfortunately phone wiring would just be looped through each socket, so it would not be suitable for an Ethernet connection unless you rewired each one so they were separate and each went back to a common point where they could be cabled individually to each port of the home hub.

The simplest option would be to use broadband extenders, to carry the Ethernet signal over the mains wiring.

https://shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/broadband-extenders

Message 4 of 4

Thank you both for the quick replies! A shame that I can't make use of the existing cable. I haven't used powerline cables for years and was aiming for a wired system to retain the speed. I will go back to investigating dropping the cable down the existing runs from the loft - it looks like channels for that are quite clear but a bit more hard work! 

0 Ratings