cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Restricting access to internet by time

My sons PC is hard wired to our BT Smart Hub.  Is there a way to stop him accessing our broadband/internet between certain times?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Restricting access to internet by time

Unplugging the ethernet cable in the back of the hub that connects his PC will stop internet access.

The best option is to sit him down and set clear boundaries though, there are a range of options to restrict or limit access, most tech savvy kids these days can find ways round them though.

Message 3 of 10

Is there no way to set times?  I do unplug the cable but then forget to plug it back in again.  He keeps going on his PC when we have gone to bed!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

I've tried using the groups on the app but all of my daughters devices simply drop out of the group after I've applied restrictions to them 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

The "My BT" app is only for devices connected via wi-fi.  My sons PC is hard wired

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Yes I know. But the App don't work
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

One solution is to add a small Ethernet switch between the home hub and the PC. Then connect the power to the Ethernet switch via a mains timer, so that the switch is only powered up during the times you want the PC to be active.

The only problem would be if the switch was simply bypassed, unless the switch and the home hub were in a locked cupboard.

Some third party routers have the facility to enable and disable connected devices, but they do need careful configuration, otherwise they can be bypassed by tech savvy people.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Hello Keith

Thanks for your reply.  I have a few questions.

What is a  small Ethernet switch?

What is a mains timer?

How would the Switch be bypassed?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@andreaferns120472 wrote:

Hello Keith

Thanks for your reply.  I have a few questions.

What is a  small Ethernet switch?

What is a mains timer?

How would the Switch be bypassed?

Ethernet switch. One port connected to a home hub LAN port, and the other port connected to the PC. That is simply a transparent connection which only works if there is power on the Ethernet switch.

https://shop.bt.com/products/tp-link-5-port-desktop-gigabit-switch--5-10-100-1000m-rj45-ports-tl-sg1...

There are lots of mains timers, either locally, or online. The Ethernet switch would be plugged into the timer.

Like on Amazon - Electronic digital mains Timer Socket Plug-in with LCD Display 12/24 Hour 7 Days

Capture.JPG

The problem is that the timing can easily be altered, or the cable to the PC could be unplugged from the Ethernet switch, and connected direct to the home hub, so unless all of the items are in a secure location, they can be tampered with, although it would be obvious by simply checking the connections.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Before doing anything to the Ethernet connection keep in mind that all your child will need to do to bypass it is to purchase a wifi dongle for his PC. He can get one for a few pounds and setting one up is "childs play".

This will give him Internet access either through your home network or if he has a mobile phone by setting it up a a hotspot. He could also piggy back off a neighbours wifi if there is one close enough. 

For every way you come up with to use easily sourced technology to stop access your child will find a route around it by doing a simple search on the Internet.

The only reliable solution is to remove any Internet enabled devices from your child during your chosen times until he learns the house rules.