Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cryssan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Ridiculous latency issues

Go to solution

Hi everyone, around a month or so ago, after coming back from my break, i noticed that whenever i would play video games, my ping would skyrocket to 600, stay there for around 2 minutes, and then drop back to 30 to 50 m. 
I have noticed that when i play before 11am, there is no issue, but after that whenever i load into a new match, for instance in overwatch, my ping will go up, and then towards the middle of the round, it will go back down. but then the next game the same thing would happen.

this is incredibly frustrating since it heavily impacts my experience since the games i play, ping really does matter, i called support and the woman i spoke to didnt even know what ping was, and she kept talking about how my internet speed was fine. 

does anyone know what i can do to fix this?
I am contemplating changing ISP to a provider that says they care about ping. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Ridiculous latency issues

Go to solution

are you using wifi or the better for gaming ethernet connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cryssan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

im using ethernet, keep in mind, i havent changed anything about my setup at all, everything used to be fine, but then one day the ping just started acting up

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

A noisy line can cause this, as errors are generated which will slow down any response.

Perhaps its errors on your phone line causing re-transmissions?

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
cryssan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

sorry for the delayed response, after reading what you said it came to my attention that since my household doesnt use the home telephone, it had been packed away, so i had to dig around the house for it. After i plugged it back in, i had 2 cases of unstable ping, and then for the next 2 days, no issues, until today again, so i dialled the number and gave it a listen, since ive not done this before i wasnt sure what to look out for, but i did notice it is not completely silent, there is a faint but consistent buzz in the back. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@cryssan 

A very faint noise is not usually a problem.

What is more likely is that you may have a high resistance connection on the external network.

This can be made worse by not using a phone occasionally, as the current that flows through the line when you use the phone, tends to break down any high resistance connections.

Dial 17070 again, but select option 1 (ringback test). Put the phone down and let it ring for about 20 seconds, then pick it up again.

The high voltage ringing current will tend to fix many bad connections, and you may find that the connection is more stable for quite a while afterwards.

See if it helps.

0 Ratings
cryssan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

ive just given this a go, ill see how it goes, thank you

0 Ratings
cryssan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Okay so by leaving the phone plugged in for the past few days and doing the ring back test thing, i can say that the latency has improved, where it used it to be an issue constantly, its now about once every three or four matches, so around once every half hour to an hour. so the issue still exists, although a little less frequent, are there any other things i could try?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

There could still be errors on the line, but they can only be monitored from the BT end, as local error monitoring was a feature which BT removed from the home hubs.

I will see if a moderator can look at the performance counters.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
cryssan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution
Did the moderator reply?
0 Ratings