cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RayP
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

Ridiculous warning message about usage being exceeded.

I fail to understand the logic of BT sending out an email warning me I have used 28Gb of my 40Gb allowance 27 hours before the end of the month! Smiley Frustrated That represents 70% of my monthly allowance.

Do they imagine that in the 27 hours remaining I am going to use the remaining 30% or 12Gb? I'm lost for words.

If I had used 70% after 3 weeks there might be some justification in warning customers. As it is they are far too quick to send out these emails. Customers do have a brain you know! Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Ridiculous warning message about usage being exceeded.

It's automated.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Guru
Message 3 of 12

Really BT can't win can they? They inform you, presumably by an automated system and because it comes just before the end of the month, you say they shouldn't have sent it?

Some customer do have brains!
Message 4 of 12

I would be very grateful, even though I'd never in a month of Sundays consider I'd use 12mb in 24 hrs. In fact, I recently received a rare warning that we were approaching the limit, an abnormal use that was a result of much intense research that involved listening online to audio and opera.

Maybe you are in a situation where that couldn't possibly happen, which might have sparked your outrage, but have you read the tales of strangers piggy-backing on routers? That just might have served as a warning to you that unusual activity was taking place, and you might have been able to pre-empt the continuation of such activity that might have taken you over the limit.

Be glad that BT, in this scenario, is serving customers responsibly.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

@StewM wrote:
Some customer do have brains!

One between the lot of us according to the OP.Smiley Very Happy

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Guru
Message 6 of 12

Just a few cells PP, just a few cells.
0 Ratings
RayP
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

Automation means it was programmed by a human. Now if someone's usage was in danger of being exceeded half way through the month sending a warning message makes sense.

But if you're within a day or so of the end of the month and you still have 30% of your allowance remaining I wouldn't generate a message if I was the programmer. But I can understand why they would do it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

Yes, but where do you draw the line? What if it was programmed not to send a warning just before the end of the month then someone decided on a huge cloud backup on the 31st? The only sensible way is to send the warning willy nilly, then nobody can complain. Well, nobody who has room for a brief email that is.

--
0 Ratings
RayP
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

If I was going to download or upload a large file I think I would check my usage beforehand.

As I said I don't agree with the principle of sending irrespective of the situation but I understand why they do it.
0 Ratings
RayP
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

FloFosterJenkins,

As yours was the most constructive replies I'm happy to answer. I agree the possibility of someone piggy-backing my wi-fi exists but the chances are very low. I always remain within the limits - it was just the timing of the message that surprised me.

I wasn't outraged by the email and I understand the points you make. You posted a civilised reply unlike some others who I shall ignore.

0 Ratings