Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Ring 2 Video Doorbell

Good afternoon!

I have a Ring doorbell which doesn’t work as it should. It is 3metres from my router (BT HomeHub 2), which consistently gives download speeds of 12-15 mbps and upload speeds of 1-2 mbps. The only thing between the router and the bell is the external wall that the bell is attached to.

The doorbell records, but is incredibly slow to connect, meaning that the person at the door has left by the time the intercom function has connected and even by the time the indoor chime makes a noise (always 30-60 seconds after the button has been pushed). I get strong Wi-fi all round the house and in the garden. I can stream movies and connect to FaceTime with no problems anywhere on the property.

Ring have suggested this is a bandwidth problem and can be rectified by altering the settings of the router’s firewall to low. BT have advised against it and will provide no support.

Has anyone rectified a similar issue with a Ring doorbell? 

Thank you in advance! 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ring 2 Video Doorbell

Never mess with a firewall, you want a nice secure network.

your issue could be that it’s taking its time due to your upload speed and what ever else is using it at the same time. 
Ring recommend 2 Mbps I believe so you are barely there. I’m guessing that’s the route of your problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Hi,

Did you ever solve your issues as I am having the exact same problem and have the same extender as it’s netgear too.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

In short, no. It’s better (interestingly without the Ring extender), but far from great. There isn’t usually a delay on the chime any more but there is on the video. It’s basically acting as an expensive security camera currently.

What hasn’t helped is that my FTTC is rubbish. Openreach came out last week and found a fault but can’t do anything about it as there are plans to upgrade the road to FTTP in the next 3-6 months.

Irritating but will be better long term I guess.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I have basically the best wifi that anyone provider can offer in the U.K. and I am still having issues. I have tried everything. It’s still under warranty so tempted to return it and maybe try the google one but not sure if they Are all the same.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

The ring doorbell is on your internal network is it not? The firewall is there to protect against unsolicited incoming internet traffic, so I don't get that.

I think you're being fobbed off by someone who didn't understand the problem and couldn't get you off the phone quick enough

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Absolutely. I’m sure that is the case. However, I also have no idea, so wasn’t really in a position to argue! 

0 Ratings