Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeltaOskarMike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Ring 3 Video DoorBell and BT HUB 5 setup

Go to solution

Connecting Ring 3 to BT Hub 5 - fails - Ring device showing 2 white LEDs on the right which means not connected to internet.. Also fails the same way connecting to a NetGear wifi extender (to the BT Hub 5).  Hub/router configured for split 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz, with 5Ghz wifi disabled. Also using Channel 6 for 2.4Ghz wifi. (in case its a channel problem).

Also  tried with auto channel on the 2.4Ghz wifi - still same issues. Ring device refuses to connect to internet BT Hub 5 / internet.

The interesting test is that when using another connection method (cellphone hotspot) it works ok, so in doing so it shows that the Ring 3 is working ok as far as conecting to the intenet.

NOTE: Ring 3 - works ok and connects to internet if connecting to cellphone with hotspot enabled so I think its something possibly with the BT Hub 5 and the Ring 3 connection through it.

Anyone had similar issues with Ring devices and BT Hubs? and if there are any solutions?

Grateful for any help / pointers in getting a fix as I'm almost at the point of throwing out this BT 5 Junk hub for something better and that works..

Kind Regards

DeltaOskarMike

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Ring 3 Video DoorBell and BT HUB 5 setup

Go to solution
0 Ratings
DeltaOskarMike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

Hi Licquorice

Thanks for answer.. unfortunately Smart Setup already disabled (been that way for a while) as it messed up device wifi joins.

0 Ratings
northshields
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

I'd be tempted to say just keep trying. I have a Ring 1 doorbell and a Smart Hub 2. It must have taken me about 20 attempts to get it connected, but since I did it has worked perfectly. Why it took that many attempts I have no idea.

DeltaOskarMike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Hi Northshields

I fixed it in the end.. by complete replacement of the old BT Hub 5 with a Hub 5 I got from BT (which I never got round to installing until now) - So the old Hub 5 must have been broken deep within somewhere..  I think I had an old Hub 5 Type A and this one is a Type B. - There are two variants of the Hub 5, Type A with Lantiq chipset (ECI), and Type B with Broadcom.

Hope this helps the next poor unfortunate who has problems with BT Hub's and RIng devices.

DeltaOskarMike

0 Ratings
Honeybun8679
Beginner
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

How do you know which BT hub 5 you have? I am having the same problem with connecting my ring 3 doorbell too

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

@Honeybun8679 

if you have the HH% whichever version have you split the 2.4/5ghz networks with different SSID?  you can then connect to the 2.4ghz network 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Honeybun8679
Beginner
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

I already connected to 2.4ghz still having the same problems.  Will not connect to the hub at all but has connected twice to BT wholehome momentarily then I get the same thing in the ring app every time "not connected"

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution
Honeybun8679
Beginner
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution