WildWayz
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Roku 3 and Netflix Connection Issue

Go to solution

Hi guys

Got a bit of a weird problem.

I have the following setup:

BT Infinity 2 (78Mbit / 19.5Mbit sync speed)

BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 | Last updated 20/02/14

BT YouView Vision Box

Roku 3 Media Streamer

Media Center PC

Desktop PC

2 x Nexus 5 Mobiles

1 x Hudl Tablet

My network uses 2 x TP-Link Gigabit Switches to handle traffic from the devices, so they have a Gigabit connection. This setup has worked fine for months.

I have had a Netflix account since November last year and used it with the Roku 3 since then - no issues.

About 2 weeks ago, it stopped working with Roku 3 and the Netflix app.

It works fine via all the other devices - but Roku can send their app traffic over a different CDN - and they suggest we change DNS on the router to see if that resolves the issue. As you can imagine, the Home Hub 5 is locked down so I cannot do that, and the Roku does not allow you to change DNS itself. Stumped.

The error I get is as follows:

"Couldn't connect to Netflix. Please try again or restart your home network and streaming device. For more information, visit netflix.com/nethelp. Code: nw-2-5"

Netflix Server 1 = OK
Netflix Server 2 (nw-2-5) = Failed
Netflix Server 3 (nw-2-5) = Failed
Internet Connection = OK

I have tried factory resetting the Home Hub 5 and factory resetting the Roku box. None of it fixes it.

I have 'signed out' of all devices on the Netflix homepage.

I get the error "Couldn't connect to Netflix. Please try again or restart your home network and streaming device. For more information, visit netflix.com/nethelp. Code: nw-2-5"

This is before it even logs into the service.

http://downrightnow.com/netflix = shows no issues.

Roku and Netflix say it is my ISPs problem with their routing. I am going to jump the gun and say you will say it is their issue. End of the day, there is an issue and I cannot troubleshoot it due to a locked down router and Roku box.

Netflix use LibSyn's content delivery network for their streaming, so I cannot provide traces etc.

As I said before, Netflix works fine on all the devices other than the Roku Netflix application.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
WildWayz
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Re: Roku 3 and Netflix Connection Issue

Go to solution
Any ideas?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Have a look at this forum, it might have an answer

http://rokuplayer.org/

0 Ratings
WildWayz
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Hi,

No - it doesn't have the information.
I have now tried with a TG589vn v3 router, where I can use a different DNS from BTs.
If I use OpenDNS, Netflix on the Roku works. Was working perfectly for 2 weeks. I now removed the OpenDNS servers and set it back to BT's DNS - guess what? Fails to connect.

It is an issue with BT's DNS but I am going to go around in circles over this as BT will blame Roku, Roku will blame BT - even though I have proved it to the BT DNS
0 Ratings
WildWayz
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Right-O

Found the problem.

It was BT Parental Control Filters causing the issue. Somewhere along the lines, BT's Parental Control Filters began blocking Netflix's servers used for Roku 3 streaming. When viewing it through the website / mobile, it used different CDN servers to when using Roku3.

Which is why it worked when I changed DNS servers or used a different router with Parental Controls disabled.

I now run my network with BT Parental Controls turned off, and each device setup to use OpenDNS's Parental Controls when connected via Ethernet / WiFi - so only the Roku 3 uses BT's DNS servers.

Works perfectly now.

0 Ratings
Murtel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi, I seem to be having the same problem.  I have now turned off the parental controls on the hub but it is still coming up with the same errors on the Roku 3. I have yet to reset the hub so hopefully this will solve it but as of yet I haven't been able to do that as the rest of the family is using the Internet. 

0 Ratings
skinfreak
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
wildWayz is using his own router which allows DNS changes - BT Homehubs do no longer allow this. The only way around this at present is to either use WiFi or ditch the homehub.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

You need to uninstall parental controls. Simply turning them off, still blocks 3rd party DNS.

Do that from within MyBT, and then wait a couple of hours.

0 Ratings
Caniblett
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Wish I'd found this post before. Just spent days trying to get Netflix working again on LG smart tv. No joy with BT, LG or Netflix but then found post talking about parental controls. Switched them off, disabled and deleted everything I could find on the BT account (still running Kaspersky), reloaded app, restarted hub and hooray, it worked. Why did BT not know about thus when I called them - it's clearly been an issue for ages.
0 Ratings