cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
domjoy182
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Router Suggestions

I think the time has come to replace my HH5. First it kept dropping connection so I started using an openreach modem and now it frequently will not allow wireless connections.

Any suggestions for a wireless router, I am happy to still use the modem. I do not want the new BT hub.

Thanks

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Router Suggestions

I'm happily using an Asus DSL-AC68U which whilst quite expensive does have great functionality & wireless speed/coverage. It's doesn't usie the OR Modem, but the Asus RT-AC68U would and would be a bit cheaper.

0 Ratings
ByJings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I have also been considering binning my HH6 and buying an Asus DSL-AC68 but I've read on various forums that the VDSL modem in the Asus is unreliable and slower than the HH6. The router however is highly rated, so the RT-AC68U version might be a good purchase to use with a separate modem.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 13

Initially the firmware was a little suspect but more than a year ago that was resolved & my view is that it is now rock solid. As to speed versus the HH5/6 I personally cannot comment on but from the few posts I have seen the differences are minimal.

If you have concerns about the DSL version then the RT version in conjunction with a white OR modem would be a good compromise.

0 Ratings
Foxcliffe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

There are some excellent options available but which is best depends upon a number of factors: finance, line length, usage, no of aerials, even aesthetics amongst them.  Ideally, since you are forking out good money, it would make sense to buy an 802.11ac router as this will put you at the forefront as new technology comes along.  There are a few good reviews out for 2017 best buys if you do a search.  Reading these may give you some ideas on how to make your decision.

Both Asus mentioned get good reviews but, then, so does the BT HH6!  I have had good experience with both Netgear and Billion so, personally, would look seriously at newer models of these when I come to upgrade.  I would certainly recommend picking something with a broadcom chipset.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

I replaced my HH5 with an Asus DSL-AC68U and it has been very stable (up about 30 days so far) - initially it did sync slightly lower than the HH5 but I enabled G.INP and dropped the SNR margin slightly to 5db and now get near maximum sync rate of 79402 which is about the same I was getting with the HH5.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 13

You can't really rely on reviews these days but can on the real life experience of users on forums such as this. The HH6 has good reviews but the user experience is somewhat different.

Asus & Billion seem just fine with BT TV internet channels but I believe that some Netgear modem/routers have issues.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Foxcliffe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Actually, in the HH6's defence, I have it installed here at mother's where, with a brand new drop wire & MK4 vdsl plate and attenuation of 23.2, I am getting about 20% higher speeds than I was sold when contracting the account.  How it would cope with my own line, which is so long it shouldn't even carry telephone let alone broadband, is a whole other story (though I have to at least try it at some stage) but my personal experience so far agrees with the reviews.  I confess I do hate it being locked down and its (almost) totally naff front end but the closest my mother would get to seeing that is the blue light across the front so what's to stop her thinking it is the bees knees?

So, that said, which do you want to listen to; an unreliable review that says it is great or a personal experience that says it surpasses expectations?

Returning to my original statement, I really do believe that what works best very much depends upon your own personal situation and requirements. 

0 Ratings
oakserver
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

In my opinion the Asus DSL-AC68U is much superior to the Homehub 6.

It does not have a Broadcom chipset but is the only stable VDSL modem I have found that is not Broadcom. I had no end of trouble with Lantiq based modems including the Fritzbox.

I belive the Asus router had problems originally, but now has very stable firmware and puts the broadcom based BT Smart Hub to shame.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 10 of 13

@oakserver

Just about anything will be superior to an ISP supplied router also I've never had any issues with the FritzBox and now have a Vigor 130 modem connected.  Both devices have Lantiq chipsets and connected to Huawei Cabinet (Broadcom chipset).  So by personal experience no problems with Lantiq devices.

Used several other routers with Broadcom chips and there's no discernable difference.

0 Ratings