cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Router loses ADSL connection when laptop is connected to wifi but not when connected with ethernet

Clutching at straws..... My router drops the connectio 10-15 times a day when my laptop is connected by wifi but very rarely when connected with ethernet cable. Can my laptop wifi connection be causing a problem with the ADSL or is this just coincidence? BT have checked the line 4 times and, although we are 7km from the exchange the engineer says  everytime, its slow but it's fine for this area (central north Wales).

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Message 2 of 3

Re: Router loses ADSL connection when laptop is connected to wifi but not when connected with ethern

Hi @AlanO42 Sorry that your connection is dropping out when you are connecting wirelessly.

Check out Improve your wi-fi with BT - a checklist for advice on how to help get the best from your wifi connection.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Router loses ADSL connection when laptop is connected to wifi but not when connected with ethern

Thanks, done all those things for the last 20 years 🙂 laptop to router is usually about 2m, the router is on top of a cupboard about 1.4m from floor level against a central wall, I don't have a TV or a fishtank, the router is re-booted every morning etc etc.....

If I run my laptop connected by LAN cable it very rarely drops the ADSL line. If I run my laptop by wifi it will drop 6-10 times per day (at least) sometimes more and often for 10-30 minutes. What I am trying to find out is, why is there a difference to ADSL dropouts when the laptop connection changes?

0 Ratings