cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Router recommendation for bandwidth control

Hello,

I currently have the BT SmartHub2 with black wi-fi discs - however I have been getting slow internet speeds during wfh i.e. less than 5mbps. 

At first I thought the slow speeds was due to the signal around the house which is why I got the black complete wi-fi discs recently. However now I have realised it is (most) likely a bandwidth issue. Our household has a lot of streaming youtube/tv in the background and so we have noticed this seems to be affecting zoom calls/general browsing etc when the streaming is active.

I'm unclear which TP-Link router I should get to control bandwidth (as I understand the BT routers don't have this option).

My BT package is currently Fibre with BT Halo 2. I connect my existing BT SmartHub2 via the broadband cable to a my double master socket (no filter needed).

Appreciate any advice on what external router to buy and control bandwidth for each ip address/device as I really don't understand this topic much more than this, thanks!!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Router recommendation for bandwidth control

@redbullracing123 

You would not be able to use the black discs with any other router apart from the Smart Hub 2.

Most of the TP Link router offer bandwidth controls.

What type of broadband connection do you have?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Yep understood about the black disc which is a shame but I have some other Wi-fi extenders which I plan to use with the new router.

what do you mean by type of broadband connection?  I am on Fibre 2, if that’s helpful?

Would the new TP link router completely replace my existing SmartHub2 by the way?Or would it connect to the SmartHub2?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

If its a normal VDSL connection typically up to 80Mbs, then one of these would be suitable.

This one is very popular, and works with all BT services including BT TV.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr400/v2/

If you only want 2.4GHz then there is a cheaper option.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/

Bandwidth is based on the LAN IP address, so you have to make sure that it stays the same, by reserving it in the DHCP server address reservation.

This does not work if you have Apple devices running IOS14, as the device MAC address would keep changing.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Great thanks very much! I will go with the first option as I need both 2.4ghz and 5ghz

Just to check - so this router would allow me to limit the bandwidth for each device by selecting its IP address in the settings and set it to a max download speed (i.e of 5mbps)? As I currently get 40mbps with BT fibre, if I limit the download speed for some of the laptops that stream videos, that would help my bandwidth, correct?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Also, is there another router that would work with iOS 14 devices as well? Or that’s impossible?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@redbullracing123 wrote:
Great thanks very much! I will go with the first option as I need both 2.4ghz and 5ghz

Just to check - so this router would allow me to limit the bandwidth for each device by selecting its IP address in the settings and set it to a max download speed (i.e of 5mbps)? As I currently get 40mbps with BT fibre, if I limit the download speed for some of the laptops that stream videos, that would help my bandwidth, correct?

Yes, you would normally use a combination of priority and bandwidth controls, with streaming devices being given the lowest priority (8), as they have the ability to buffer data in the background, and do not need real time access.

TP link guide https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/557/

As far as IOS14 is concerned, provided the private address feature is turned off, then the device MAC address will remain the same. You can use IOS14 devices, but with private address enabled, you are likely to have issues controlling the bandwidth of that device, so it will just default to priority 5.

I doubt that you have any Apple devices streaming video using a large bandwidth.

Here is another higher spec TP Link. That also has the same controls, and also very good wireless coverage.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr2100/

All of these devices have software emulators so you can look at the options before deciding.

It does take a while to get the best settings for bandwidth and priority, as it depends on what devices you have connected.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Thanks, super helpful.

just looking through the TP link FAQ - what does Egress bandwidth and Ingress Bandwith mean? Can I source this from BT?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@redbullracing123 wrote:

Thanks, super helpful.

just looking through the TP link FAQ - what does Egress bandwidth and Ingress Bandwith mean? Can I source this from BT?

Ingress is the upload speed, egress is the download speed.

Its easier to see it on the router itself, as it calls it upload and download.

Here are my settings.

Bandwidth Control Rules

Description Priority Upstream Bandwidth Downstream Bandwidth Status Edit
Min Max Min Max
192.168.1.65 /1-65535 /ALL 6 5 800 100 10000 Enable Edit
192.168.1.55 /1-65535 /ALL 2 200 1150 100 11000 Enable Edit
192.168.1.56 /1-65535 /ALL 7 5 800 100 11000 Enable Edit
192.168.1.61 /1-65535 /ALL 7 20 1190 100 10000 Enable Edit
192.168.1.116 /1-65535 /ALL 3 100 800 100 11000 Enable Edit

0 Ratings