cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Router seems to be preventing me from downloading large files (>20gb)

I moved into a new place and paid BT for the 1GB fibre optic.

If I connect by ethernet into the smart hub 2 I get 1 GB/s speeds without issue.

However the router is downstairs and my computer is in a room upstairs so I need to use wifi. I get the same wifi speed on my phone in this room compared to next to the router downstairs and despite being upstairs the router is not actually that far from my PC. I know the question might be interference but bear with me... 

I have an MSI Gaming Edge Wifi 6 mobo. When I am downloading (via antennas) I get a solid 45MB/s (megabyte not megabit). Yet after a while of downloading (be it a game on Steam or another launcher) it just kills the internet on my computer. I need to go into network settings and toggle the Wifi off then back on to get it working. Meanwhile internet is fine still via other devices such as my phone before I re-enable it.

Realistically I can download say 15 gb before it does this. It then gets more frequent until I am re-enabling the wifi only for it to immediately die again on my PC. This makes me think my router is throttling download speed rather than interference with the wifi signal.

I have tried using another wifi adapter instead of my mobo's one but I get only 5MB/s and similar issues.

I have updated to my latest driver - no difference.

Are there any router settings (channels etc) I could change to stop the issue from happening?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Router seems to be preventing me from downloading large files (>20gb)

Have you turned off smart setup in hub manager?  If not then turn it off.

Use a WiFi analyser on your phone and then you should see networks near you so you can select a free or less congested channel and see if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

@FirstTimeUser987 

What type of hard drive are you downloading on to?

I ask as what you're experiencing is typical of the HDD becoming the bottleneck and when you reset your wifi adapter maybe that gives the HDD a chance to catchup by clearing it's or the system cache.

Probably very wide of the mark but just a thought.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

I download on to an M.2 1TB drive. My OS is on an SSD. No issues when I benchmark both.

0 Ratings