cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shell820810
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Router suggestions....special feature needed

I have being having ongoing issues with infinity, but the engineers cannot find a problem.  Speeds are fluctuating between 5meg and 70meg on a 80meg profile.  I am also having dropped connections.  I am going to try a different router (have tried two HH3s but no improvement).

One of the laptops has a Single Stream 802.11n card, so connection speed is 65mbps on 802.11b/g/n setting, and I am getting about 35-40mbps on speedtests.  When I changed the settings to 802.11n 40mhz on the hub settings, laptop connection speed goes to about 135mbps, and speeds increase to about 60meg.  However as soon as I use my Iphone 3GS, the laptop reverts back 65mbps (as its not wireless N).  The other laptop is connecting at 144mbps on 802.11b/g/n setting and 300mbps on 802.11n 40mhz setting.

Are there any routers that give the option of 802.11 b/g/n 40mhz or is this even possible(or practical?)?  Nothing too expensive.  Its not essential, but if I am getting a new router it would be a useful feature to have to maximise the wifi speed on the laptop.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Router suggestions....special feature needed

There is a small list here.

Replacements for BT home hub 3

0 Ratings
shell820810
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Many thanks, I have seen your list and had a look at the cheaper ones, but I dont see any mention of the feature I need. Will this be explicit in the description, or do you know off hand if any of these have this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

I am not sure which have dual radio modules, as a single module will always connect at the slowest device speed.

Most that do, seem to have 2.4 and 5Ghz radios, which mean you would have to upgrade your wireless cards, if you really must use wireless.

It may be worth looking at the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, as that is quite popular, and has three aerials.

The spec seems to indicate it supports multiple streams.

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 5 of 5

What I would do is buy a dual band router and use G on 2.4ghz and N on 5ghz.

It is a little expensive but the Asus RT-N66 is pretyy much unbeatable value at the moment.

It is very, very fast, full functioned and can run Tomato firmware.

0 Ratings