cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Router vs Switch

Go to solution

Hi all,

My main PC and console are located on the other side of the room from the Hub, so I've plugged them into an old router which in turn connects via  ethernet cable to the Hub.

However have just upgraded to faster speeds and the router is capping out at 100mb.

My question is whether I need a new router, or whether a switch would be sufficient.

I want to keep the cable connection as it provides a much better gaming experience than WiFi.

Thanks for your thoughts

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Router vs Switch

Go to solution

Your post implies that you're now on FTTP? If so you can move the Hub to where your kit is by simply using a longer ethernet cable between ONT & Hub. Possibly the same one that's currently connecting the Hub & old router.

If it's not FTTP then a simple switch will do the job.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Switch would be fine. But check the spec for speed.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

The second device isn't routing, it's just acting as a switch in any case. A cheap Gigabit switch will suffice if you don't need WiFi as well.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks all.

Yes am FTTP but previously only 80mb download, was offered full speed for cheaper than I was already paying...

I'd not considered moving the Hub! Might need some other thinking as the phone and Sky are plugged in, but that's possibly solvable.

Cheap switch sounds like it would work and not be too much hassle.

Thanks again

0 Ratings