Highlighted
TheRealBudski
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Hi all

I’m contemplating changing my homehub 6 for a third party router. Budget is about £60. The main requirements are

- amend dns to use opendns 

- schedules to block users from the internet 

- Port forwarding 

Ive used tplink routers before and like them. What else is out there these days?

Thanks all

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Router

Go to solution

At £60, not a lot. Go for the TP Link TD-W9970.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@TheRealBudski wrote:

Hi all

I’m contemplating changing my homehub 6 for a third party router. Budget is about £60. The main requirements are

- amend dns to use opendns 

- schedules to block users from the internet 

- Port forwarding 

Ive used tplink routers before and like them. What else is out there these days?

Thanks all

The TP-Link TD-W9970 does all of that at about £35.

It also has bandwidth control and quality of service settings, and works with BT YouView if you have that. It also maintains good wireless connections.

Full details on my Forumhelp website, menu item 6. All the configurations are shown there, with instructions.

0 Ratings
TheRealBudski
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks gents looks what I need 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

The only downside is lack of 5Ghz wireless.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@TheRealBudski wrote:

Thanks gents looks what I need 

The most useful feature of the router, is the ability to configure your own firewall rules, something that is missing on many other routers. This enables access control and website blocking if needed.

You just need to remember that rules are applied from the top of the list down, so  its helpful to create some inactive rules near the top of the chain, just in case you need to apply an overriding rule later, otherwise you end up rewriting each one, just to get them in the correct order.

My firewall example for OpenDNS stops any other DNS servers, but you can see the importance of getting the rules in the right order.

If you need any help, please ask.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

The only downside is lack of 5Ghz wireless.

But you do get access to all 13 of the 2.4Ghz channels, unlike the home hub 6, which can only access three.

5GHz wireless has very limited range anyway, and many devices do not go the the extra expense of including a 5GHz radio module.

0 Ratings