cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Rubber banding/buffer bloat

Hi, so I've had BT broadband installed for about a month, the speeds are fine and the ping, but doing a buffer bloat test I'm getting a grade F which states it's no good for online gaming. I'm getting stuttering rubber banding in the game I play, the same as others with the hub 2, technical support and engineers say the connection is fine, I have the issue after a few rounds, is the hub 2 no good for gaming? Or is it congestion in my area. My brother in law can be in same game on same server and he doesn't have the issue and he's with sky. Both using Ps5 console. Please help, I'm at my wit's end with all the troubleshooting I've tried.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Rubber banding/buffer bloat

Hi, what is your upload and download speeds?

how are you testing this, what website?

PingPlotter is a great tool and there is a free version that will help finding out what’s going on.

You may have to consider a third party router that offers better network control via QoS and traffic priority. There are many to pick from depending on your needs. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Hi thanks for your reply, not got a pc to use pingplotter, it's a couple of websites I use to test for buffer bloat, waveform.com. Getting download speeds of about 43mb to 50mb, I'm only using my PlayStation 5 on the hub 2.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

What other clients are connected to the hub?

gaming traffic uses very little but any type of background downloads on the PS5 will cause an issue even though it limits it when playing.

Whats happing is the bufferbloat on those websites is they test your line and saturate your connection. They are not the best for gaining the best results, waveform never reads correctly for me for example.

there’s also the game server you are connecting too and with a BT router you can’t do much about that. Some routers use third party services to route traffic and some use geo filtering so you can see what servers you are joining or give you the option to join or refuse.

these also tend to have QoS and prioritise traffic to help lower latency. Of course you are best to use a separate modem like a HG612 or one of the vigor offerings if you went that route.

normally to prevent latency you would run PingPlotter and adjust QoS to achieve the desired results but let’s say you use for example a Netduma router you would set it up at around 70 to 80% of both up and down and when it picks up traffic depending on how it’s set up it will allocate part of your connection to prevent saturation. Other routers like Unifi use a basic up and down limit through fq CoDel which reserves a set amount like above but that will always reserve it and there is little control on internal traffic.

so lots depending on what’s going on on your network when you game plus the servers you connect too.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I'm only using the ps5 on the hub 2, not other devices, auto update of patches is disabled so not background tasks running. QoS should be ruled out because the ps5 has all the bandwidth and as you say online gaming doesn't use alot.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Thanks.

What games are you seeing issues with ie. COD, FIFA so on?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Battlefield 2042, which has its issues, I'm thinking it could be an issue with some of their servers, I've tested today and had 7 rounds and it was ok, but the 8th round it started with the issue. Thought it might be BT congestion but it's early in the day, unless alot are working from home. But as I've stated before when I'm on the same game and server with my brother in law, he doesn't get it, and he's on sky. I'll just have to wait and see if it gets fixed....if it's the servers, or BT routing. Not sure what it is. If it's allowed I could pm you some links to my YouTube videos showing it happen. Not sure what else to do.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

His line will be different to yours so we don’t know what the situation is. Yes Battlefield and COD normally tend to be the most complained about.

when it puts you in a server we don’t know if it changes and your connection goes or down. you might be in a server that’s 15ms then the next is 80ms.

Without using PingPlotter there’s no way to really know if it’s a line issue or Network or what’s going on as that tends to be helpful  but to be honest I would say it’s the game servers and the mess that Battlefield is. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Did this ever get fixed I have the same problem and I'm the only one connected to the Internet via ethernet cable I made a complaint and an engineer did a check on the copper line found a problem at one of the junctions my speeds went from 23mb to 34mb it fixed the problem by about 60% he did mention he was getting a reading of another closer location but once he fixed the first big problem I got the speeds range he assumed it was fixed I used to get upload spike 1200ms on bufferbloat now I get 300ms - 500ms. You could have the same issue the copper wiring is very sensitive to cracks which causes frequency fluctuating so it could be something very tiny as gamers we need to have the cleanest connection if u was just video streaming watching movies it wouldn't make a difference.

0 Ratings