cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dobbythenerd
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Running a home server

Hello everyone, bit of a difficult one here.

I am trying to run a server at my house. This server will run Owncloud which allows me to basically have my own personal dropbox that stores everything at my house instead of a corportation. I want to use this so i can store all my family photos which any member of my family can access with a username and password. I have all the settings sorted but the only problem is i cant access the server from a different computer than the server. 

Long story short i need my auntie in england to be able to access my server in scotland. Any ideas?

Does BT support it? Do i need something special?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: Running a home server

You will need to setup a dynamic DNS account somewhere.  I use www.duiadns.net, it is free, there are others as well.  Then you only have to give people the name you registered under, any specific log in details and open the appropriate port(s) on the router.  All fairly straightforward.

0 Ratings
Dobbythenerd
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

Thanks for the quick reply! Im tryign to use it now but it is asking for a hostname and password im assuming this is something i make up?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Dobbythenerd
Beginner
Message 4 of 20

i actually got one working called no-ip but i think i am having a problem with ports. canyouseeme.org says they are closed

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 5 of 20

Sorry, coffee break.

If you are at the dynamic DNS site then yes.  You make up what ever you want before the  '.duia.eu'  assuming you went to the one I suggested.

Also look for the update client ' duia.dynamic.dns.client.win.x86.64-2.0.0.3'  this will update your IP address when it changes.  You run this on the server.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 6 of 20

Ok.  Slight misunderstanding there. 

Owncloud instructions should tell you which port(s) you need to forward in the router.

What make/model of router are you using?

0 Ratings
Dobbythenerd
Beginner
Message 7 of 20

its the home hub 4 i think. id also like to note this is running on xampp

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 8 of 20

Right a Hub, never use them myself.  Found them less than reliable, they sometimes lost settings etc.  Do a search (top right of the forum page) for something like 'port forward hub' and you should get an idea, can't remember the specific layout and the hubs are in their boxes stored away.

Running xampp shouldn't make a difference, unless there's a built-in firewall you need to adjust settings for.  Never used it myself,  running FTP server here on Windows with Filezilla server.

0 Ratings
Dobbythenerd
Beginner
Message 9 of 20

Okay so i have tried to open port 80 with my hub but it will not open. canyouseeme.org cant find it. no idea why

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 10 of 20

I just did a quick Google about Hubs and port 80, seems there are a few people with issues.  Again you could try searching the community.  You might be better off getting a good third party VDSL capable modem/router.

0 Ratings