Message 11 of 20

Re: Running a home server

its not just port 80. its port 443 aswell. it wont open

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 12 of 20

I noticed that in the list of web search results, ports 80 and 443 seem to cause bother with hubs.  Unless someone else on the forum has a solution it looks like a proper router is required.  Just one of the reasons I don't use Hubs, I found a Hub 1, 3 and 5 had issues with port forwarding when trying them, so no reason to expect different from the others.  Though some people seem happy with them.  Not a lot of help at the moment though.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 13 of 20

You could try using ports 8080 and 4433.  See here:  https://forum.owncloud.org/viewtopic.php?t=19718

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 14 of 20

The ports are only opened when an application is actively listening on them.  Just tried here.  Ports 80, 443, 8080 and 4433 show closed with Shields Up but when an application is running and listening on those ports they show as open.  So can you verify the server is running and the correct LAN IP is being used for forwarding?

If all that is correct then it must be down to the hub.

0 Ratings
Dobbythenerd
Beginner
Message 15 of 20

So xampp is running that lets me access the own cloud from my own pc and I have managed to get it working fine on my home network. It's just global now.
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 16 of 20

Is there no WAN access at all?

What error messages from the test site?

Do the ports still register as closed when tested?   For example Shields UP at grc.com.

If ports are forwarded to the LAN IP correctly and the ports are still closed then it's likely the Hub not doing the forwarding correctly.  About four years ago I thought I'd try using the Hub 3 to see if there were any improvements over the first Hub I had but still had problems with port forwarding and eventually gave up and put the Billion back.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 20

Disable UPnP on the hub, reboot and then try forwarding the ports.

0 Ratings
RobertM
Contributor
Message 18 of 20

I took the easy option and got a Western Digital MyCloud external drive, I can access it from anywhere. It's about as near plug and play as you can get.

Working with a SmartHub no problem

Highlighted
Dobbythenerd
Beginner
Message 19 of 20

I turned of the UPnP and canyouseeme.org still says the ports are closed.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 20 of 20

Are you certain that the Owncloud application is running and listening on the ports that are forwarded?  If the server is not running then the ports will be unresponsive 'Closed'.

As here results from grc shields up site.

Port forwarded and application not running:

closed.jpg

Same port with application running:

open.jpg

Finally the response you would expect with no forwarding:

staelth.jpg

I have made no alteration to the default router setting of  UPnP default on setting, though I must point out again, I'm not using a BT Hub.

0 Ratings