cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 41

SH2 WiFi unreliable

Go to solution

This is a long-standing prob,em. Both Open Reach and BT tell me that I receive 17Mbs "to the router". When all is well we receive approx 13-14 Mbs on our WiFi enabled devices. That is acceptable, given that we are in a rural area and on copper.

but....

The WiFi regularly drops to between 0.5 and 4Mbs. When that happens I switch to my aPlus et hotspot and get decent service, so it's not my equipment.

so far BT have done this in the last two years

- replaced my router 5 times, from HH4 up to SH2 (no difference

- replaced my main incoming box 

- Replaced the incoming copper from the post

- engineers visited 4 times

- nothing has changed in the nouse layout for years, and we used to get totally reliable WiFi at all times.

its incredibly frustrating, and there is nobody in BT 151 with the knowledge or the will to sort it out.

Any advice /suggestions welcomed

40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41

Re: SH2 WiFi unreliable

Go to solution

@Yderi 

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 41

Go to solution

Many thanks for those positive suggestions.

1. quiet line test was silent

2 router check attached

3 broadband checker also attached

F8CFF904-C813-4475-9593-0BB59FF31332.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 41

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 41

Go to solution

I may have posted this twice

I removed this as it contained my phone number. I have edited it out and reposted. Can't find a way to delete a post

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 41

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 41

Go to solution

@Yderi 

Having problems viewing your links. Can you post information on your thread using camera icon. It make helping easier as saves jumping between different web pages

how to upload photo.PNG

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 41

Go to solution

FAE2065E-2238-4F6C-B6E7-37B51C19F924.png

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 41

Go to solution

Regarding the screenshot in message 4, turn off Smart Setup, What is Smart Setup on the BT Hub? How can I turn it on and off? | BT Help

Message 10 of 41

Go to solution
Will try and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help