cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 32

SKY Q Box disconnecting from BT Smart Hub 6

Anyone else experiencing disconnection issues with their SKY Q Box?

Have BTHub6 - Wireless Connection

Constantly having to reboot/ re-enter password etc. after Sky Box loses connection.

Frustrating much....happening up to 3/4 times a day

Any advice, much appreciated

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 32

Re: SKY Q Box disconnecting from BT Smart Hub 6

Have you turned off Smart Setup on the BT router? Turning it off often seems to help with odd connection issues.

Have you tried 'reset network connection' in the Settings/Setup menus on the Sky Q box and gone through the procedure indicated by the prompt screens.

If you have Sky Q Mini boxes you will likely need to reconnect them to the main Sky Q box via the WPS button on the Q boxes. (Only the main Q box connects the the BT router, the minis create their own mesh to the main Q box)

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 32

WHi Paul,

Yes ‘Resetting Network Connections’ on the Sky Q Box is now a daily task for me 🙂 as I keep having to do this to reconnect the Sky Box to my Smart Hub. I’ve tried assigning manual IP address to,no avail.

I don’t have any Sky Q Mini Boxes so don’t have to worry about that. BT’s just sent me a new Smart Hub, I may try turning off Smart Set Up if the problem persists. I’ve also spoken to Sky about the problem and apparently,  “it’s a known error”?.?  “There’s some compatibility issues between the Sky Q Box and the Bt Smart Hub apparently” Wanted to find out if anyone was experiencing the same problem.

Thanks for your help

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 32

as advised first thing is to turn off smart setup as that will cause problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 32

I have Sky Q and a mini box connecting to my Smart Hub, never had any issues, they work fine together.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 32

Hi There is a well known issue between Bt home hubs and sky Q. I'm having the same issues as yourself and I am fed up of having to reset networks almost daily on the main box then the mini boxes. Sky blame BT and BT blame sky. If you managed to find a cure for this please share as at the moment I'm debating which one to throw through the window. thanks 

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 32

@paultintin 

Do you have BT Sports and a Youview box?

I ask as if you do and you have the Q box & the Youview box on the same switch & that doesn't support IGMP Snooping then the BT Sport transmission will kill the mini boxes.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 32

hi, I do have BT sports throught the sky Q box but I dont have a you view box. I had a sky engineer come out to see why my boxes keep losing the wifi and as soon as he spotted the BT hub 6 he said that's the issue and there is nothing he can do.  the Boxes show they are connected to the correct wifi but it says the network is isnt there when it is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 32

Hi Paul,

Someone suggested turning off Smart Set Up on the Hub. A few days after I disabled Smart Set Up, the problem persisted. However, it’s been about 3/4 months now and the the problem appears to have vanished.!!! I don’t have the Mini Box though.

Hope this Helps🤔

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 32

Hi,

I'm pretty certain I've already turned this off but will double check. The Sky engineer told me it's a big problem but as Sky blame BT and BT blame Sky it probably wont get sorted for a long time. Some weeks it's fine and others I can be doing it 3 or 4 times a day. A large hammer to both might fix the issue lol. 

thanks 

Paul