cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
juddster27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

SOME Internet apps not working on Panasonic FreeSat TV with BT Parental Controls turned on

Go to solution

SOME Internet apps not working on Panasonic FreeSat TV with BT Parental Controls turned on.

My Panasonic FreeSat TX-49ES503B TV is about a year old, all the smart apps used to work flawlessly, via direct wired connection to BT Home Hub 3.

About 3-4 weeks ago, the kids said connections started to get intermittent to YouTube and now won’t connect at all.

In fact this is a list of smart apps that I have tried:-

Netflix                  No

Prime                    No

BBC News           No

BBC Sport            No

iPlayer                  No

YouTube              No

ITV Hub               Yes

All 4                        Yes

Demand 5           Yes

Web Browser    No

FreeView            Yes (including iPlayer\BBC News\BBC Sport via FreeView!)

If I turn BT Parental Controls (PC) off, everything jumps into life. Turn BT PC back on again, and the channels above fail to connect again – although they will still continue playing with BT PC turned on, until you exit the Smart app and reload it.

This despite the fact the TV is obviously internet connected. The TV setup wizard says it’s connected to the internet and I can ping the IP address (wired and wireless) of the TV from my PC with BT PC turned on.

I have tried:-

Power cycle HH3 & Router

Giving TV fixed instead of DHCP address

Tuning TV into Wired, Wireless & BTWifi-with-FON connections

Changing HH3 Channel Selection to 1 (instead of Automatic SmartWireless)

Returned FreeSat channels on TV

I have another (Hitachi) smart TV with FreeView connection and that works ok.

So it appears SOME smart apps are not working with BT PC turned on, over FreeSat.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
NeilO
Message 2 of 18

Re: SOME Internet apps not working on Panasonic FreeSat TV with BT Parental Controls turned on

Go to solution

@juddster27 When you have the parental controls on are they set to strict?

0 Ratings
juddster27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Re: SOME Internet apps not working on Panasonic FreeSat TV with BT Parental Controls turned on

Go to solution

Hi - no they are set to a custom level, so everything is banned except:-

Games, Social Networking, Media Streaming, Search Engines & Sex Education

I have added about 30 sites to my whitelist, which include things like shops we like to visit, but also www.youtube.com facebook.com & bbc.co.uk & bbci.co.uk - which is something another poster suggested to be added.

Apart from adding the last 2 sites a few days ago, there is nothing in the settings that I have changed recently.

I dont set any filter times either.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @juddster27 

Thanks for posting back to let us know that.

I'm not going to lie, it's a weird one.  We're definitely going to need some details from you and we'll see if we can chat with someone on your behalf.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
juddster27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Robbie - having some problems replying to pm - says I already sent too many pm and to try again later, which I will do.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
juddster27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Robbie - have pm'ed you the details your asked for.  Although interestingly I have tried it just now and the BBC Apps\Youtube\Prime are working again.  I just checked and BT PC are definitely switched on.  The kids did say it was intermittent before those apps stopped working altogether, so I am going to monitor for a few days - thanks.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks @juddster27 I can see your details in our queue now, I'm sorry to see you had difficulty replying to Robbie. It will take us a couple of days to get back to you anyway so if you could keep the thread updated if the problem returns that would be great.

0 Ratings
kwaker5
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Could I have some help with the same problem?  BBC iPlayer and Amazon prime fine through firestick but no longer work on our Panasonic TVs, despite ITV hub and All4 still being fine.  iPlayer can be accessed through Freeview freeplay.  Have had a BT engineer out after reporting it because BT said our speed was low but this has been rectified and the problem still exists.

Thanks

0 Ratings
juddster27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Unfortunately for us, the problem seemed to magically fix itself, worked for a week then broke again and hasn't work since, which was probably a month ago.  I can't think of anything I did differently the week it was working ok.

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @juddster27  sorry that the issue has come back. Are you and @kwaker5 able to check on a different model of TV so we can see if the issue is only with Panasonic?

@kwaker5  to check it's the same issue would you check the Apps works ok with the Parental Controls turned off?

Post back and let me know.

cheers
John 

0 Ratings