Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Second Router

Hi all, 

Im trying to install a second router to my home in the garage as i have converted this. I cant get it to work at all! 

I have fibre to the property. This is the setup i currently have and my issue. 

I have huwawi fibre box wired to a netgear ax12 router. 

I then have an ethernet going from this router into a BT home plug. 

I then have a home plug in the garage and an ethernet going from this to my bt smart hub 2 router.

I then get an orange light, when i go into the router admit settings i turn of dhcp or what ever its called and apply settings and nothing! (Read the above on google). I have also tried applying the router IP that my ax12 shows into the settings this didnt work and i have then tried the origional ip and also 192 168 0 1 and 1 1. 

I cant get it to work 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Second Router

You need to give the SH2 an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the Netgear and connect to a LAN port not  the WAN port.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Why do people insist in trying to use a second router as a wireless access point when they could buy a dedicated wireless access point which is more or less plug and play for about £40 upwards depending on the specs you want.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Because i have a super hub 2 which cost me £0, i also have BT home plugs which cost me £0 and i also have wires which cost me £0.

So if i can get the second router working fine, it will have cost me £0 instead of £40 and the effect is basically the same 

Also thanks liquorice i was putting it in the wan port not a lan port on the second router. Will try this in a bit 👍👍👍👍👍

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

When your second AP is connected, if possible select "Access Point" mode.

If that isn't possible, unplug your second router from your network and set a static IP, gateway and disable the DHCP on the router.

The gateway is the IP to your primary router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Second routers tend to be more flexible as in they can act as switches as well as a wireless AP.
In most cases, setting IPs/gateway and disabling the DHCP is enough to get a router setup as a WiFi AP + switch.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Is this the RAX120 or the RAX200? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

RAX120

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Very nice, same router I’m using. Should be pumping out the old WiFi. Is it struggling at range? 

a little tip, reset the router after any firmware update, it clears low level stuff and don’t use a saved cfg. If you are on .122 once you download bitdefender it stays on the router even after a full reset.  
You may have noticed the Qualcomm chip is a bit special, it’s not listed on Qualcomm’s site. 2.2Ghz  is the unusual part. Cracking router now the firmware is pretty much sorted regarding WiFi.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

I have tried this with various different routers and, even if you can get it working, you will probably find that something else has been screwed up.  You say that you have all the parts you need so go head and have a bit of fun experimenting but don’t expect lasting success. If you really need to extend your wifi, my honest advice is to do what others have suggested and invest in a plug and play extender.