cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Second hand smart hub 2

Go to solution

I have Fibre 1 BT broadband with home hub 5. Would second hand smart hub 2 and wifi discs be compatible with current broadband package or do i need to buy new halo 3+ deal?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Second hand smart hub 2

Go to solution

Second hand smart hub2 and discs will work just fine if that is the way you wish to go.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the swift reply, @licquorice .

BT tells me (via the availability checker) that 'complete wifi is not available in my area' (although it also tries to sell me Halo 3+ at the same time.) Does this mean the smart hub 2 and discs would not offer any improvement in boosting the wifi in the weak spots in my house? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

WiFi speed and coverage is entirely independent of broadband package but overall speed is clearly limited to the slowest link in the chain. As far as coverage is concerned, clearly adding WiFi discs will improve coverage.

Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

It'll work fine.

I think BT supply different routers depending what package you're on, what there saying is they won't provide you with a Smart Hub 2 for your package and the discs will only work with a SH2.

Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

does anyone know what the difference is between black discs and white discs? And do they both work with smart hub 2? The BT website shop says I can just buy the discs to work with any router.

Also, does each disc have to be connected to the router, or is there only 1 connected to the router with ethernet and the rest are wireless?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

The black ones are BT Complete WiFi discs. They only work with the BT Smarthub2 and, once setup, do not require a physical connection (ethernet cable) to the hub.

The White ones are Whole home WIFi discs and will work with any router so long as one of them is connected to the router by ethernet cable. These are usually used with the hub WiFi turned off

Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Interestingly I have 2 Smart Hub 2's on FTTP one features Digital Voice, the other is not set up for it. 

My ONT has 2 active ports, but if I swap them over the Hub with DV refuses to work on port2, just displays an orange glow. Put it back on port1 then it's happy again, the other Hub doesn't care which port it uses.

Are Hubs with Digital Voice somehow 'tied' to the active BT service enable for DV? 

Makes me wonder how long second hand Hubs will actually work.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

If you get the BT mini disks, you can get three for a good price, they work well with any router and are easy to setup.

Speed wise they work well ~200mbps in real world testing.

0 Ratings