cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exasperated-essex
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Separate Bands on Smart Hub

I've been having problems with broadband. It has been running slow and erratically.

I am now unable to use Skype or WhatsApp as the connection keeps cutting out and re-connecting.

I phoned bt and was told to go into the Smart Hub and turn the Separate bands button to ON.

This I have done. The speed is now faster but there are still interuptions in the connection, presumably when the channel changes.

I never have any problems when I use any of our devices at other people's houses.

Am I missing something obvious?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Separate Bands on Smart Hub

If you have the hh6 then you can separate the 2.4/5ghz networks but you cannot do this with SH2. If you have the hh6 did you also select the channels manually instead of leaving on automatic?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
exasperated-essex
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Hi.

I have Hub6

The only change I made was to toggle the separate bands switch to ON

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

If you separated the networks did you then connect your devices that were able to connect to both networks as SSID is now different - the 5ghz now ends in a 5

i would also select the channels manually rather than allowing automatic selection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
exasperated-essex
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

I did connect each device separately to the -5 version of the hub.

My ancient laptop now only works on a wired connection, but we can work with that.

When you say select the channels manually what exactly do you mean?  My phone and kindle seem to move from one to the other far from seamlessly

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Instead of letting the Hub select which channel to use (not devices selecting which band), disable smart wireless and manually choose which channel to use in each band. Trial and error will determine best channel to use.

0 Ratings